[OPLINLIST] Tell Your Story with a Hands-on Local History Workshop at OhioNET

Heidi Beke-Harrigan via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Fri Oct 6 09:20:34 EDT 2017

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D33E84.5E1FBDA0]

Libraries often find themselves the de facto stewards of many a local history collection.  Make sure yours does more than collect dust.  Join us for a hands-on lesson in building an engaging project to bring awareness to your resources and develop relationships in your community.

Our workshop leader, Dr. Miriam Kahn, will walk attendees through the steps involved in creating a sample project: a virtual tour of your downtown area or other local, historically interesting locations.  Building on hands-on examples from our "Special Sources: Maps!" webinar, attendees will learn how to use online tools to find historic buildings or businesses.  Using maps, city directories, and census records, attendees will learn how to create biographies of these locations.

During this session, attendees will also have the opportunity to explore digitally-available resources, such as the USGS and Google Maps, to identify potential sites of interest, practice using tools like city directories and real property records to trace the history of locations, use Social Explorer and data from the historical census to create a snapshot of your community as it was. Walk away with an outline of tasks you'll need to complete a project of your own or train others to use these tools!

Hands-on Local History Workshop: Sources and Strategies for a Community-Centered Project<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=379&reset=1>
Wednesday, November 8th, 9:30 AM-3:30PM at OhioNET
Presenter: Dr. Miriam Kahn

If you find yourself with questions about this, or any of our other CE offerings, please don't hesitate to contact us (ohionet at ohionet.org<mailto:ohionet at ohionet.org>).  We're always happy to help!

"See" you soon!

Heidi

Heidi Beke-Harrigan, MLS
Member Services Coordinator
OhioNET | 1500 West Lane Ave | Columbus, OH 43221
614-484-1068 | 800-686-8975, ext. 28
heidib at ohionet.org<mailto:heidib at ohionet.org> | www.ohionet.org