[OPLINLIST] MARC record question

Melyssa Jones mallen at hbmlibrary.org
Wed Sep 19 16:40:06 EDT 2018

Hello all!

I just have a quick question. A co-worker and I are having a discussion about capitalization in titles in MARC records. Our previous Director, who has a Masters in Library Science, told me when I was the cataloger that only the first letter of the first word in the title was capitalized and everything else was lower case, regardless if it was a proper noun or not. This is how I taught the person who took over my job. However, while looking at other libraries catalogs, there are quite a few that capitalize proper nouns in the title.

What is the correct grammar to use in this situation? Thank you for any input!

Melyssa Jones

Adult Services Coordinator

Hurt/Battelle Memorial Library

614-879-8448