[OPLINLIST] MARC record question

wensor at mrcpl.org wensor at mrcpl.org
Thu Sep 20 09:48:39 EDT 2018

Hi Melyssa,

I am a cataloger (with an MLIS) and when I saw your question I thumbed through my copy of the RDA workbook (copyright 2014).   On page 55 they discuss "Title proper" and how to record it in MARC records.  There it says: "Local practice will dictate whether the capitalization of the title is transcribed as on the item or follows guidelines found in style manuals such as The Chicago Manual of Style"

It gives the example of the book titled: The Literacy Cookbook.  In AACR2 you would record it as" The literacy cookbook" and you would ignore the capitalization.  However in RDA it can also be recorded as it appears on the resource as "The Literacy Cookbook."

Also, looking at examples at OCLC's support & training page on the 245 field (and from my own experience) proper nouns are always capitalized even if they are not the first word of the title.

[ https://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/2xx/245.html ]( https://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/2xx/245.html )

I hope this helps (and isn't TMI)

Wendy

Wendy Ensor
Cataloger/Mansfield Richland County Public Library