[OPLINLIST] State Library Budget Testimony for Fiscal Years 2020 and 2021 before the House Finance Subcommittee on Higher Education

marshams at library.ohio.gov marshams at library.ohio.gov
Fri Apr 5 12:19:41 EDT 2019

Please excuse multiple postings...
Sent on behalf of State Librarian Beverly Cain

Dear Colleagues,

On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 I presented testimony on behalf of the State Library's proposed budget for Fiscal Years 2020 and 2021 before the House Finance Subcommittee on Higher Education.  My testimony included information about funding for OPLIN, the Ohio Library for the Blind and Physically Disabled, and the Regional Library Systems.  David Weaver, Executive Director of the Ohioana Library Association, provided separate testimony for the Ohioana Library, which is also a line item in the State Library's Budget.  A copy of the written testimony is available on the State Library's website at https://library.ohio.gov/documents/state-library-budget-support-testimony-ohio-house-finance-subcommittee-fy2020-2021/.

The Governor's Executive Budget for FY 2020 and FY 2021<https://www.obm.ohio.gov/Budget/operating/doc/fy-20-21/BlueBook_BookOne_BudgetRecommendations_FY20-21.pdf> recommends maintaining GRF funding for the State Library of Ohio at the FY 2019 level. In my testimony before the House Finance Subcommittee on Higher Education, I requested a 4.5% increase in GRF funding and reminded them that the State Library's General Revenue Fund (GRF) Operating Budget was reduced by 13.57%, or $1.4 million, for the current Biennium.  This reduction in funding made it necessary to make reductions in staff, library materials, and services.  Five State Library staff positions were eliminated and another ten were left unfilled at the end of FY 2017, requiring work on some initiatives to be reassigned to other staff or dropped altogether.

Beverly L. Cain
State Librarian
274 E. 1st Avenue
Columbus, OH 43201