[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: $500 to Collaborate, Beyond Reality, Awards Committee, Poster Presenters and Conflict

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Apr 15 12:20:03 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5376479.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4F385.8D02D500]
NEONews April 15, 2019

Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Time to Register for May and June
  *   ALAO Extends Call for Proposals
  *   Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Wanted: Emerging Tech Poster Presenters
  *   Emerging Tech Symposium
  *   Don't Miss a Network
  *   A Couple More Volunteers Needed

Continuing Education to Print and Share
The Winter/Spring CE Guide<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Guide_0119-0619.pdf>  that lists all the workshops, webinars and network meetings for January - June 2019 is available.  Be sure to share this with your staff. Please let us know if you would like a printed and bound copy mailed to you.  In addition, here  is the one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0419_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>.
Wanted: Emerging Tech Poster Presenters
Showcase your innovative tech projects and ideas at the 2019 Emerging Tech Symposium! This year's theme is AR/VR - Immersive Realities, but your poster can be about anything related to emerging tech. Feature your library’s cool tech programming and events with a traditional poster or feel free to get creative! Email  holly.klingler at neo-rls.org<mailto:holly.klingler at neo-rls.org> to participate.

Read more about the event:  http://bit.ly/2UEqPe3 <https://bit.ly/2UEqPe3?fbclid=IwAR3Scq9UbRiGbqwRlzINE47U_KwI-_FPovMrEyOIzie24ksp6vn_4R-28GQ>

Emerging Tech Symposium
Thursday, June 6, 2019 <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51193&org_id=NEOL>
Opening Session:
Beyond Reality: Expanding Your Library’s Services to the Virtual
It’s no longer sufficient to build library services around the real world. Technology is enabling an entirely new set of worlds for libraries and our communities to explore and build, through the emergence of expanded reality technologies. Augmented, virtual, and mixed reality comprise expanded reality -- collectively, they represent new modes for people to learn, experience, interact with, and explore knowledge, places, and activities that would otherwise be inaccessible. What should libraries be doing today to aid their users in these areas? What are the medium- and longer-term plans we should be making? And what in this brave new world might give us pause?
Learning Objectives:

  *   Attendees will learn what their libraries can do now to get started
  *   Attendees will learn what they can do to prepare for the near future
[http://neo-rls.org/photos/51153_04152019094048.jpg]
Presenter:
Ken Varnum  is senior program manager at the University of Michigan Library. In this role, he is responsible for the library’s discovery systems, document delivery and link resolver interfaces, and the library’s evolving and emerging analytics infrastructure. Over his two decades working with public-facing technology in academic, corporate, and special libraries, he has gained a deep appreciation and understanding of the need to tailor systems and interfaces to the local user base. A frequent speaker and author, Varnum presents and writes about discovery systems, library analytics, and technology.
Don't Miss a Network
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting-Focused on Architectural Design Process <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=52341&org_id=NEOL>
5/16/2019 -
Twinsburg Public Library

Academic Library Directors' Networking Meeting <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=52234&org_id=NEOL>
6/7/2019 -Cleveland Institute of Art

Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=52233&org_id=NEOL>
6/21/2019 -
Westlake Porter Public Library
A Couple More Volunteers Needed
We need people interested in creating, overseeing and monitoring NEO-RLS awards.  Please contact  Betsy Lantz<mailto:betsy.lantz at neo-rls.org> or  Kim Garrett<mailto:kimg at kinsmanlibrary.org> for more information.

A Note from the Executive Director
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]I’m excited to announce that the State Library of Ohio has awarded $500 to NEO-RLS to use as one-time project support money for a collaboration that is developed out of the Collaboration Connection: Planting the seeds to building successful community partnerships <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51155> program on May 2nd !  Projects that are initiated during the afternoon of that day will be judged based on specified criteria and one will be eligible for the $500.  Right now we have attendees from public libraries, an academic library, and a heritage society.  What do you have to offer another library and what might they have to offer you that will get that special project off the ground?  Who can you partner with in order to make your funding proposal more attractive to a foundation or other granting agency?  And, how do you make certain that you have your bases covered in that all-important Memorandum of Agreement?  Come join us for this informative and interactive program co-sponsored by NEO-RLS and the Academic Library Association of Ohio’s Programing, Outreach, and Marketing Interest Group.  I am excited to see what will happen when we think outside the box about our partnerships.  I hope to see you on May 2 nd!

Betsy Lantz
Time to Register for May and June

Reference Reboot: Refreshing Your Reference Interview and Information Searching Skills [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52424>
04/15/2019
Play Your Way to Literacy Through STEM and Musical Madness! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51158>
04/16/2019- 04/17/2019
Weed 'em and Reap: Readers Advisory Benefits of Fiction Weeding<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52075>
04/17/2019
Increase Library Usage Through Strategic Merchandising <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50997>
04/18/2019
Navigating Ohio's Library Organizations [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52426>
04/19/2019
Beyond Rosetta Stone: How Libraries Can Support English Language Learners [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52425>
04/22/2019
A Firm Grasp: The Nonverbals of Influential Leaders [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52429>
04/26/2019
Programming for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52423>
04/29/2019
Myers Briggs Communication<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51174>
04/30/2019
Serving Forgotten Patrons: Libraries in the Fight Against Alzheimer's Dementia <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51093>
05/01/2019
Collaboration Connection: Planting the seeds to building successful community partnerships <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51155>
05/02/2019
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51156>
05/08/2019
Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances: Improving Labor-Management Relations through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51160>
05/09/2019
RDA in Practice: Enrichment vs. Original Cataloging<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51177>
05/14/2019
Free Tools for Working with Graphics and the Web<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50994>
05/15/2019
Early Literacy 101-An Ohio Ready to Read Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51149>
05/16/2019
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting-Focused on Architectural Design Process <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52341>
05/16/2019
2019 Directors' Retreat: Steps to Stress Free Leadership<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51194>
05/22/2019- 05/23/2019
HR Stuff that Every Supervisor Should Know <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51095>
06/05/2019
2019 Emerging Tech Symposium: AR/VR- Immersive Realities<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51193>
06/06/2019
Academic Library Directors' Networking Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52234>
06/07/2019
Creating a Resume Review Program for Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51096>
06/11/2019
Caring for the Mind <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51154>
06/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51161>
06/13/2019

ALAO Extends Call for Proposals
The Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO) conference planning committee invites you to submit proposals for the 45th Annual Conference,  Libraries Speak Up! Advocate. Collaborate. Educate. , which will highlight the myriad ways we respectfully, effectively, and equitably speak up for our profession, our libraries, and our patrons through advocacy, collaboration, and education. All facets of the library community are invited to submit a presentation from public and technical services to librarians, staff, and students. Proposal formats include posters, roundtables, and 45-minute presentations.
Conference Date: October 18, 2019
Conference Location:  Nationwide Hotel & Conference Center in Columbus, Ohio
Submission Deadline:  April 12, 2019 DEADLINE EXTENDED: April 26, 2019
Submission Form:  https://goo.gl/forms/8Ju2s7ezbsKqv4bz2 <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_8Ju2s7ezbsKqv4bz2&d=DwMFAg&c=3buyMx9JlH1z22L_G5pM28wz_Ru6WjhVHwo-vpeS0Gk&r=CiSNLA9RKpFrzoSuNX7KU5K_amcpD5SgbeDo2gjKV9g&m=EL2rWfqOZBW885p7LDRYtAs-IqINGXyEXZ8pcgSQNZQ&s=wzGbbhNmBei-Z_dqRR3jVNxKZg-pErJ2MdQBVTd_rGc&e=>
Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances
Thursday, May 9, 2019<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51160&org_id=NEOL>
Improving Labor-Management Relations through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing​
Learning Objectives Part I: Moving from Conflict to Collaboration

  *   Communication Basics
  *   Active Listening
  *   Collaborative Problem-Solving
 Learning Objectives Part 2:  Effective Grievance Handling

  *   Grievance Steps
  *   Grievance vs. Gripe
  *   Tips for Preventing Grievances
  *   Grievance Mediation
Who Should Attend:  Managers and Administration that work with unions
Don't miss this workshop and the newly renovated South Branch (Carnegie Building) of Cleveland Public Library.

Presenter:  Barbara Baker  is a Commissioner with the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS) in Independence, Ohio. As a Federal Mediator, she assists parties in collective bargaining negotiations and mediates labor and employment disputes in the private, public and federal sectors.  Ms. Baker trains labor advocates and management in collective bargaining including bargaining processes, contract administration, steward/supervisor training and developing effective labor management committees. She also provides training in communication skills such as conflict resolution, active listening and communication dynamics. In addition, Ms. Baker facilitates person to person dialogues as well as group discussions to promote strong workplace relationships .

Template 1 - NEONews April 15, 2019