[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: Management Vs. Union, ALAO Interest Groups, SCOTY Award, and U.K. Libraries

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Tue Apr 30 11:59:01 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_2473007.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4FF4C.18CFB590]
NEONews April 30, 2019

Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Many Workshops and Webinars to Choose from in May and June
  *   Management Vs. Union
  *   NEW Winter/Spring CE GUIDE to Print and Share
  *   NEO-RLS Awards Committee
  *   Official SCOTY Award Announcement
  *   Reminder:
  *   ALAO Special Collections and Archives Interest Group

NEW Winter/Spring CE GUIDE to Print and Share
Perhaps you have not seen the  Winter/Spring CE Guide <https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0419_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf> that lists all the workshops, webinars and network meetings for January - June 2019.  Be sure to share this with your staff. Please let us know if you would like a printed and bound copy mailed to you.  In addition, here is the one page CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0419_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf> .
NEO-RLS Awards Committee
Thank you to Pam Myers, Grafton-Midview Public Library, Jessica Divis, Geauga County Public Library, and Lindsey Myers, Medina County District Library for volunteering to be on the NEO-RLS Board of Trustees Ad Hoc Awards Committee.
Official SCOTY Award Announcement
Congratulations to the iSchool ALA Student Chapter for being named Runner Up for Student Chapter of the Year! Click HERE <https://www.nmrt.ala.org/notes/2019-student-chapter-of-the-year-award-winner-announced/?fbclid=IwAR2sc8ajp_CBNMD5SMZwpkjpFZ4J56599Yl4N3zjwezw6H115ZNIUceEsWg> to read the article.
Reminder:
Elections for the 2019 NEO-RLS Board of Trustees’ three (3) At-Large Library open seats and the School Library open seat will begin tomorrow, May 1 st and continue through May 30, 2019.  An email will be sent tomorrow to all eligible Gold, Silver and Bronze member representatives with the appropriate ballot link.  Thank you in advance for voting for the Trustees who will represent the members of our Northeast Ohio libraries.

ALAO Special Collections and Archives Interest Group
Topic: Teaching with Primary Sources
Location : University of Cincinnati, Archives and Rare Books Library, 8th floor, Blegen Library, 2602 McMicken Circle, Cincinnati, OH 45221
Date/Time: Wednesday, May 29, 2019
9:00 – 9:30 AM: Sign-in/Continental breakfast
9:30 – 11:30 AM: Morning session
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM: Lunch on your own
1:00 – 3:00 PM: Afternoon session
Instructors : Heidi Gauder, Coordinator of Research and Instruction, University of Dayton
Kayla Harris, Archivist / Librarian, University of Dayton
Stephanie Shreffler, Collections Librarian / Archivist, University of Dayton
Archivists and special collections librarians are stewards of unique resources. Instruction and reference librarians have in-depth knowledge about online and other print primary sources. This workshop will help participants consider ways that they might develop teaching opportunities for their collections and resources. The workshop is for anyone who is interested in developing a course-related session, a co-curricular learning opportunity, a for-credit course--there are so many possibilities!
Registration
Register via the event page on the ALAO website <https://www.alaoweb.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=pOUxrjwWKy8aMb53lSCdjvabjUhbRLYJ9BGENoGGRX%2bZiWh9xZZgR%2b%2bAUVW1SIeiVlf8U%2fYU5rXhUQHO4GxKqKTyOt9fNfkcgFWaW8ira3w%3d> . Registration closes Wednesday, May 15th, at midnight EST. Attendance will be limited to 30 participants.

A Note from the Executive Director

[http://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]Over the past week I was vacationing in England and enjoying not only the many sights but also, continuously commented upon, unprecedented lovely weather.  Because I am a total library nerd, I of course, had to visit a couple of libraries interspersed between cathedrals, museums, beautiful scenery and loads of excellent scones!  In the U.S. we are so lucky to have a history of strong public and academic libraries.  The U.K. is equally lucky in its library traditions.  First up for me was the Bodleian Library at Oxford, dating back to the 14 th century and with a continuous history of use beginning in 1602 when it was opened by Sir Thomas Bodley.  According to our tour guide, Bodley saw the original library when he was 14 years old, after the small collection of about 300 unique manuscripts had been decimated by purges of both Protestant and Catholic manuscripts, depending upon whom was in power at the time.  Bodley vowed to support the redevelopment of the library and declared that it should be a public library.  Today, anyone is able to apply for a reader’s card and may use the over 13 million printed items and 80,000+ e-journals including a large variety of rare books and manuscripts.  While we were there, the Bodleian’s original reading room was filled with students and researchers working in the time-honored tradition of silence.  My other library visit was to the John Rylands Library in Manchester which was founded by a woman, Enriqueta Rylands, in memory of her husband.  The beautiful gothic building was begun in 1889 and opened to the public on January 1, 1900.  It functioned as a public library until 1972 when it became part of the University of Manchester and now holds the Special Collections of the University of Manchester Library.  It is part of the third largest academic library in the U.K. with over 250,000 printed volumes and over one million manuscripts and archival items.  Here, students equipped with headphones, laptops and water bottles spread everywhere, were busy at work among the tourists gaping at the magnificently carved ceiling of the reading room.  Thanks to the passion and foresight of two individuals, all are able to enjoy these beautiful buildings and access the many carefully collected and preserved materials.

Betsy Lantz

Many Workshops and Webinars to Choose from in May and June

Serving Forgotten Patrons: Libraries in the Fight Against Alzheimer's Dementia <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51093>
05/01/2019
Collaboration Connection: Planting the seeds to building successful community partnerships<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51155>
05/02/2019
New Supervisors Academy - 2nd Face to Face Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52728>
05/07/2019
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51156>
05/08/2019
Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances: Improving Labor-Management Relations through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51160>
05/09/2019
RDA in Practice: Enrichment vs. Original Cataloging<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51177>
05/14/2019
Free Tools for Working with Graphics and the Web<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50994>
05/15/2019
Early Literacy 101-An Ohio Ready to Read Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51149>
05/16/2019
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting-Focused on Architectural Design Process <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52341>
05/16/2019
2019 Directors' Retreat: Steps to Stress Free Leadership<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51194>
05/22/2019- 05/23/2019
HR Stuff that Every Supervisor Should Know <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51095>
06/05/2019
2019 Emerging Tech Symposium: AR/VR- Immersive Realities<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51193>
06/06/2019
Academic Library Directors' Networking Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52234>
06/07/2019
Creating a Resume Review Program for Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51096>
06/11/2019
Caring for the Mind <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51154>
06/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51161>
06/13/2019
Team + Work = TEAMWORK<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51097>
06/19/2019
Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52233>
06/21/2019
Bullet Journal Basics<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51098>
06/26/2019
Brainstorming and Innovation <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51100>
06/27/2019

Management Vs. Union
Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances: Improving Labor-Management Relations through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing
Thursday, April 9, 2019 at the South Branch of Cleveland Public Library<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=51160&org_id=NEOL>
Learning Objectives Part I: Moving from Conflict to Collaboration

  *   Communication Basics
  *   Active Listening
  *   Collaborative Problem-Solving
Learning Objectives Part 2:  Effective Grievance Handling

  *   Grievance Steps
  *   Grievance vs. Gripe
  *   Tips for Preventing Grievances
  *   Grievance Mediation
Presenter:  Barbara Baker  is a Commissioner with the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS) in Independence, Ohio. As a Federal Mediator, she assists parties in collective bargaining negotiations and mediates labor and employment disputes in the private, public and federal sectors.

Template 1 - NEONews April 30, 2019