[OPLINLIST] NEO News: Good Bye and Hello, ALICE, Reference Competency, Botanical Gardens, & Internet Librarian

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Jul 1 13:58:54 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_2473007.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D53015.1D1130D0]
NEONews July 1, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Executive Director
  *   Register Now for July and August
  *   Working as a Team at the Circulation Desk
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Internet Librarian Conference
  *   ALICE Training is Back
  *   This Week's Special Library Spotlight
  *   Featured Competency: Reference

Continuing Education to Print and Share
Be sure to share CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0719_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>  with your staff. There are just a few more programs to be posted for the fall.
Internet Librarian Conference
OCT 21-23, 2019 | MONTEREY, CA  | MONTEREY MARRIOTT

[http://neo-rls.org/photos/52057_05282019093922.jpg]
Registration is OPEN<http://internet-librarian.infotoday.com/2019/Register.aspx>.
You receive a discount for being an NEO-RLS member.
Your code: 19NEO

ALICE Training is Back
Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at Twinsburg Public Library<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=53224&org_id=NEOL>
Seats will go fast so register early as there is limited seating.

ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) Training instructor led classes provide preparation and a plan for individuals and organizations on how to more proactively handle the threat of an aggressive intruder or active shooter event. Whether it is an attack by an individual person or by an international group of professionals intent on conveying a political message through violence, ALICE Training option based tactics have become the accepted response, versus the traditional “lockdown only” approach.

Presenters:  Bob Thompson and Chris Moffitt  are both career Law Enforcement officers and dedicated trainers.
This Week's Special Library Spotlight

Eleanor Squire Library

[https://neo-rls.org/photos/52033_05242019151532.jpg]
The Eleanor Squire Library at the Cleveland Botanical Garden is one of the oldest circulating garden libraries in the world, starting in 1937. A donation of books by a member of the Garden Club of Cleveland was the primary reason to create a Garden Center within the city, now the oldest civic garden center within a major metropolitan area. The rare book collection has been now moved to Corning Library of Holden Arboretum after the two institutions merged in 2014. Currently the Sqiuire library has 12,000 titles and features Ohio resources, urban and general gardening.

Don't miss your opportunity to hear from Gary Esmonde, Library D irector at the Cleveland Botanical Garden, as he tells you how he can assist your patrons.  Join us on Tuesday, July 23, 2019<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53058> at Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library to hear about this special library and many others.

Featured Competency: Reference

Special Libraries Showcase: How they can help your Patrons<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53058>
07/23/2019

Providing Top Notch Health Information in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53057>
07/25/2019

"But I saw it on the news!" : answering political questions without all the politics<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53173>
09/04/2019

Fast and Affordable Methods for Training Staff on Genealogy <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53391>
09/24/2019

A Note from the Executive Director

[http://neo-rls.org/photos/50177_03042019090623.jpg]Today is the first day of our new fiscal year, and as such, it is the beginning of a new Board of Trustees with two members ending their terms.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank Joe Zappitello, Director, Harbor-Topky Public Library and Director of the Grand River Academy Library, for his seven years of service to NEO-RLS.  As a Trustee, Joe participated for multiple years on the Finance Committee, on the Nominating Committee, Personnel Committee and most recently on the Bylaws/Policy Committee.  We will miss his insights, enthusiasm and advocacy.  I would also like to thank Chuck Vesei, Director, Ritter Library, Baldwin Wallace University.  Chuck has served on the Board two years, participating on the Nominating Committee and the Finance Committee.  In his short tenure he has been a strong advocate of NEO-RLS within the academic library community and instrumental in the membership of several academic and public libraries.  We will miss his excellent questions and perspective on programming and services.  Thank you Joe and Chuck!  We are also welcoming back two At-Large Board members, Amy Switzer, Director, Shaker Heights Public Library, and Laura Leonard, Director, Twinsburg Public Library.  In addition, CJ Lynce <https://neo-rls.org/news_manager.php?page=20280> , Assistant Director, Westlake Porter Public Library, will join us as the newest Board member.  Thank you to everyone who dedicates time to NEO-RLS on behalf of the many and varied libraries in our 22 county region.  Together we are maximizing library potential!

Betsy Lantz

Register Now for July and August

Youth Readers Advisory Webinar: Make the Connection-Tips, tricks and basics of readers advisory in a busy world [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53467>
07/01/2019
Essentials of Copyright and Fair Use [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53470>
07/08/2019
Time Management: Yours and Theirs<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51457>
07/10/2019
You Can Be the Expert-Tech Troubleshooting with Confidence 101<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52975>
07/11/2019
Cataloging is not neutral: improving equity and inclusion in resource description [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53469>
07/12/2019
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53468>
07/15/2019
Developing a Maker Mindset: No Makerspace Required<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53105>
07/17/2019
What Libraries Can Learn from Other Organizations about Advocacy and Political Power<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53481>
07/17/2019
IT Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53248>
07/18/2019
Highly Effective Meetings [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53471>
07/19/2019
I Didn't Know You Did That! - Public Library Board Game Circulation [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53472>
07/22/2019
Special Libraries Showcase: How they can help your Patrons<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53058>
07/23/2019
Providing Top Notch Health Information in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53057>
07/25/2019
Increase Library Usage Through Strategic Merchandising [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53474>
07/26/2019
The Librarian as Candidate: How to Activate Voters and Constituents for Support [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53476>
07/29/2019
Hosting a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52977>
07/31/2019
If It's Broke, Fix It: Handling Leftover Challenges Effectively [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53473>
08/02/2019
The Library as Cause: Lessons from Winning Campaigns [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53477>
08/05/2019
Rules and Benchmarks of the New Professional<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53059>
08/06/2019
3rd Face to Face Session - New Supervisors' Academy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53205>
08/07/2019
Crafting Effective Messages: The Art and Science of Marketing Communications<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53132>
08/08/2019
Levy Webinar for All [Archive]<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53475>
08/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
08/13/2019
How to make Outlook and Calendar work for you! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53249>
08/14/2019
A Tale of Two Levies: A Case Study for Planning Your Library Levy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53252>
08/15/2019
New Collection Management and Development Network and Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53146>
08/20/2019
Fortnite In The Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53479>
08/20/2019
Engage Your Learners: Presentations and Training with Accelerated Learning Techniques<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53108>
08/21/2019
Serving Veterans in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53172>
08/22/2019
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53457>
08/22/2019

Working as a Team at the Circulation Desk
Don't miss this year's ever popular Day for Circ Staff:
It's All About Myers-Briggs and Working as a Team.  Still 3 more opportunities to attend.

Last month's attendees had this to say:
"I would say that the section on body language awareness was the most enlightening part of the day for me."

"I liked the discussion of difference between the types, but that we should work to find balance or methods of doing things that can be comfortable for people with opposite preferences."

Be sure to join us at one of the following workshops:
Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - Mentor Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
Thursday, September 12, 2019 -Canfield Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51163>
Tuesday, November, 12, 2019 - Westlake Porter Public Library <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51164>
Template 1 - NEONews July 1, 2019