[OPLINLIST] Lynda/LinkedIn Updates

Nicholas Slone sloneni at adamscolibrary.org
Wed Jul 24 13:29:10 EDT 2019

Good afternoon, LibraryLand!

I've been receiving updates from Erin Berman, Chair of the Intellectual
Freedom Committee's Privacy Subcommittee at ALA, about opposition to
LinkedIn's migration of library customers from Lynda.com, and I just
wanted to pass some of those updates along to the list, with relevant
links.

This week, ALA issued a press release urging LinkedIn to change its new
terms of service:

http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2019/07/ala-urges-linkedin-learning-reconsider-changes-terms-service-impair-library

The State Library of California issued a press release recommending that
libraries not continue with the program:

http://www.library.ca.gov/Content/pdf/pressreleases/CSL_Press_Release_LinkedInLearning_7.22.2019_Final.pdf

EveryLibrary started a petition for individuals to show support for
opting out of using LinkeIn Learning, under the planned terms:

https://action.everylibrary.org/linkedin

There have been several media postings, including bestselling author
Cory Doctorow's article at BoingBoing, "Linkedin to libraries: drop dead":

https://boingboing.net/2019/07/23/unclear-on-the-concept-3.html

And a post on ZDnet:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/american-library-association-blasts-linkedin-for-intrusive-tos-changes/

If any librarians would like to provide feedback directly to LinkedIn,
the person to email to Farhan Syed, Vice President of Client Solutions,
at fsyed at linkedin.com

I hope you spread the word and have a great day!

--
Sincerely,
Nicholas Slone