[OPLINLIST] Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals

Megan Del Corso mdelcorso at starklibrary.org
Wed Jul 24 19:20:02 EDT 2019

Hello,

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience to share related to emotional support animals in the library.  I have a good understanding of how to handle interactions around trained service animals, but in my experience, there seems to be a gray area when dogs that behave and interact very much like pets are brought into the library by patrons for emotional support.  I want to be respectful of every patron’s requirements and also safely manage the animals that we allow into the library.

I’ve found information indicating that under the ADA and Ohio law, owners of public accommodations are not required to allow emotional support animals, only service animals or animal assistants that aid those with disabilities.  I’ve also found information from the ALA indicating that emotional support animals can be considered service and support animals for persons with psychiatric disabilities.

If anyone has experience or insight to share, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
-Megan

Megan Del Corso, MLIS
Main Library Manager