[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News: NEOMED Library, Membership Meeting, Nominate Today, New Ideas for Continuing Education

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Tue Jun 25 14:59:24 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5404585.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D52B66.91709230]
NEONews June 25, 2019
Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Education and Events Coordinator
  *   July is Next Week! Many Workshops and Webinars to Choose From
  *   Mark your Calendars
  *   Book Discussion Sets Free to a Good Home
  *   Special Libraries Showcase
  *   Task force for sexual harassment in libraries
  *   Nominate a Rising Star Today

Book Discussion Sets Free to a Good Home
NEO-RLS has the following book discussion sets free to a good home.  Please email Debbie Blair<mailto:deb.blair at neo-rls.org> if you are interested.

ANGRY HOUSEWIVES EATING BON BONS

THE CAT'S TABLE

GROWING UP LAUGHING: MY STORY
Special Libraries Showcase
Join us on Tuesday, July 23 rd<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=53058&org_id=NEOL> at Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library for the Special Libraries Showcase: How they can help your Patrons!   For the next couple of weeks we will be highlighting a special library that will be participating. This week we focus on the NEOMED Library.
The NEOMED Library is an active partner in the education and research needs of the students, faculty and staff of Northeast Ohio Medical University. The library provides the latest evidence in electronic-format to support a variety of scholarly activities, including research, point-of-care decisions, and curriculum support. A core collection of physical volumes are housed in a 30,000-square foot facility that is open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week for all students, faculty, and staff .

[http://neo-rls.org/photos/52661_06252019114326.jpg]
Task force for sexual harassment in libraries
For the past 18 months, Sunni has researched, interviewed, and written on the topic of sexual harassment in libraries.  The first part of a series came out Saturday.  She is starting a one-year task force in which the chosen team will be choose one project to take on and educate the public.  The commitment is completely online and is from September 30, 2019-September 30, 2020.  Confidentiality and library experience are necessary.  If you are interested, please email her at allvoicesmatter at yahoo.com<mailto:allvoicesmatter at yahoo.com>.
Nominate a Rising Star Today
NEO-RLS is now accepting nominations for the 2019 Rising Star Award.  The award is presented to a library employee with no more than five years’ experience in libraries who has already had an impact on Northeast Ohio libraries.
[http://neo-rls.org/photos/star-1076611_1280.png]Click HERE <https://www.neo-rls.org/2019_rising_star_award_nominat.php> for more details.

​Send nominations to Betsy Lantz<mailto:betsy.lantz at neo-rls.org>.
Deadline for nominations is end of day on Friday, July 19, 2019.
Selection of the recipient will be made by the State Librarian of Ohio with the award presented at the September 17, 2019 Membership Meeting and Appreciation Breakfast.
A Note from the Education and Events Coordinator

[https://myneotoday.org/photos/24992_10262015120446.jpg]This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend ALA in Washington D.C. I came away with some great topics and speakers.  Here is a sampling of programs that I popped into.  I started by learning about Encore Entrepreneurship  for those 50 and older and how libraries can assist these patrons.  This theme continued with Strengthening Libraries as Entrepreneurial Hubs where I had the pleasure of listening to Paula Miller, Director of Baltimore County Public Library, and Heidi Daniel, President and CEO of Enoch Pratt Free Library, talk about how the two libraries have partnered to bring an entrepreneurial course to their patrons.  On the other end of the spectrum was a library teaching seniors how to bank online.  I also had the chance to attend a session with the authors from Book Club Reboot who spoke about the many different types of book clubs.  While listening to the Book Club Reboot speakers,  a member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine in the crowd  mentioned a health book club kit which you can review here <https://nnlm.gov/all-of-us/nnlm-reading-club> .  Lastly, with regard to adults and programming I heard about an adult programming palooza!    Switching gears I learned about elevating your teen volunteers by including more leadership opportunities and meaningful work.  Also, for staff that can be apprehensive with teens it was said “you don’t have to be good with teens to be good with teens.”  I heard about teen trends from teens and tweens themselves and how libraries have responded accordingly.   In one session I discovered  that you can learn a lot from the fire department when it comes to recruiting millennials.  The speaker in this session gleaned all of her research from Fire Engineering magazine.  Who would have thought?  Lastly, I ended the conference listening to speakers on the importance of self care for all library employees.  These examples are just the tip of the iceberg of the types of topics and speakers I want to be able to offer to you and your libraries. Now that I am back there are still more sessions to listen to online to identify even more topics!

Melissa Lattanzi

July is Next Week! Many Workshops and Webinars to Choose From

Bullet Journal Basics<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51098>
06/26/2019
Brainstorming and Innovation <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51100>
06/27/2019
The Welcoming Library: A Multi-sensory Approach [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53223>
06/28/2019
Time Management: Yours and Theirs <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51457>
07/10/2019
You Can Be the Expert-Tech Troubleshooting with Confidence 101<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52975>
07/11/2019
Developing a Maker Mindset: No Makerspace Required<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53105>
07/17/2019
IT Network<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53248>
07/18/2019
Special Libraries Showcase: How they can help your Patrons<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53058>
07/23/2019
Providing Top Notch Health Information in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53057>
07/25/2019
Hosting a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Your Library <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52977>
07/31/2019
Rules and Benchmarks of the New Professional<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53059>
08/06/2019
3rd Face to Face Session - New Supervisors' Academy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53205>
08/07/2019
Crafting Effective Messages: The Art and Science of Marketing Communications<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53132>
08/08/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51162>
08/13/2019
How to make Outlook and Calendar work for you! <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53249>
08/14/2019
A Tale of Two Levies: A Case Study for Planning Your Library Levy<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53252>
08/15/2019
New-Collection Management and Development Network and Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53146>
08/20/2019
Engage Your Learners: Presentations and Training with Accelerated Learning Techniques<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53108>
08/21/2019
Serving Veterans in the Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53172>
08/22/2019

Mark your Calendars
Mark your calendars for Tuesday, September 17, 2019 for NEO-RLS's Annual Appreciation Breakfast and Membership Meeting .  This year we will feature Stephanie H. York who serves as vice president and in-house counsel at Hennes Communications, one of the few firms in the U.S. focused exclusively on crisis communications and crisis management.

[http://neo-rls.org/photos/52662_06252019115901.jpg]York specializes in crisis communications, crisis management, litigation communications, issues management, media relations and digital media. She can quickly evaluate developing issues and produce effective strategic messages to aid clients coping with reputation management concerns, escalating events and breaking crises.

Don't miss this opportunity to network with other libraries and hear the happenings of the Northeast Ohio Regional Library System.  Registration coming soon!
Template 1 - NEONews June 25, 2019