[OPLINLIST] OPLIN Solves...“How can my patrons access databases remotely?”

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.ohio.gov
Mon Aug 24 11:04:43 EDT 2020

[image: unnamed.png]
*You know how you get the same questions, over and over again, at your
library? So do we! *
*In an effort to help answer some FAQs, OPLIN will periodically publish
these mini how-to guides.*

*“How can my patrons access databases remotely?”  *

OPLIN uses EZProxy to give library patrons remote access to the statewide
databases. To keep the stats clean, there are over 251 “instances” of
EZProxy, one for each library system. Libraries are welcome to use OPLIN’s
EZProxy to give their patrons remote access to the resources the library
purchases locally.

It’s pretty easy to get started: contact OPLIN Support
<https://support.oplin.org> about what database you want to set up for
remote access. We’ll tell you the proxy IP address that you will tell the
vendor, and how to set up the database link on your website.

There is a  partial list of “Other Research Databases
<https://www.oplin.ohio.gov/content/how-link-oplin-databases#other>” that
OPLIN already has set up for libraries, but many dozens more are ready to
use. Feel free to reach out and ask.

--
*Laura Solomon,  MCIW, MLS*
*Library Services Manager,* Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)