[OPLINLIST] Keeping Track of Number of Patrons in Library

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri May 8 10:47:58 EDT 2020

I used to consult with your library back in the Michelle D and early Karen
P years and I'm quite familiar with your layout (assuming it hasn't changed
much). If you haven't changed the circ desk and staff area, you could
simply keep the West side door locked and require patrons to enter the
front door. With a bit of care, your staff should be able to keep a rough
count of the coming and going of patrons without specifically posting
someone at the door. When the patron count gets uncomfortably close to your
upper limit, THEN a staff member could police the door until your numbers
within the library fall. You could do something as simple as a whiteboard
with erasable markers and a running tally of the current number of patrons.
Or an abacus-style visual counter (paper clips on a string), etc. Or you
could simply work "by feel". Your staff will have a general idea of how
many patrons are in the library at any given moment. Depending on your
desired maximum count, when it seems like you might be getting a little
uncomfortably close to the limit, you can do a quick head count and start
tracking/policing until the number of patrons diminish back to a more
comfortable level. Depending on what you've set your limit at, I don't
imagine you're going to have so many patrons at once that you can't employ
a very simple manual system that doesn't require dedicating a staff member
to stand at the door.

2 cents,
Chad

*I am no longer responding off-list to topical replies sent only/directly
to me.*
*Libraries have a wonderfully amazing reputation for openness and sharing,
a concept I support and encourage. **Your thoughts are useful and valuable.
As always, I beg you to share them publicly so that other libraries can
benefit from them and participate in a conversation**.*

*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*