[OPLINLIST] Job Opportunity: Adult & Teen Services Librarian | North Canton Public Library

Andrea Legg alegg at northcantonlibrary.org
Thu Dec 2 10:58:49 EST 2021

Hello, everyone!

Please share far and wide with any colleagues who might be interested in joining our team at NCPL.

---
We love Canadian geese, Cool Runnings, and pyramids. Why? They’re all examples of what can happen when you successfully assemble a dynamite team. If you’re interested in joining a dynamic group of community-oriented professionals, we’d love to work with you!

The North Canton Public Library is looking for a friendly and innovative librarian committed to providing high quality, charismatic customer service to patrons of all ages, with a strong focus on adult and teen programming. The successful candidate will provide direct library service to patrons, performing reader’s advisory, reference, technology instruction, and programming.

The North Canton Public Library has been an important part of its community since its founding in 1926, and we’re delighted to combine traditional library services with ones that are both inclusive and cutting-edge. What do we offer? Lots of fun and fellowship, plus a supportive work culture that includes many professional development opportunities. Join us as we work together to be the library our patrons deserve!

Job Title: Librarian – Adult & Teen Services
Education: MLIS from an ALA-accredited college/university; library experience preferred
Hours: Full Time (40 hours per week), including evening and weekend hours
Salary: Entry rate: $15.26 per hour
Immediate Supervisor: Library Services Manager

Responsibilities:
• Under limited supervision, provides reference, technology instruction, and reader’s advisory services to Library patrons
• Guides patrons in the operation of Library services and equipment
• Maintains a working knowledge of the Adult & Teen Collection
• Assesses the needs of the community and coordinates appropriate program activities (both online and in person) to ensure that the goals and objectives of the Library are met
• Works with interdepartmental team to plan, implement, and assess events, displays, and online content at the Library and in the community
• Collaborates with interdepartmental staff to promote and highlight Library services and resources with a distinct focus on promoting programs and collections to potential customers, partners, and the community
• Composes bibliographies, book/media reviews, and Library user guides
• Communicates ideas, issues, and potential solutions to Library Services Manager
• Develops, maintains, and promotes positive and professional relationships with internal staff, volunteers, customers, vendors, contractors, and the general public

Qualifications and Requirements:
• Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques, and procedures
• Passion for being informed about developments in the library profession
• Ability to empathize and relate to patrons; ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to launch and manage programs from inception to completion
• Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and organizational skills are required
• Must be proficient with social media, Internet, and both basic and emerging technology
• Ability to make decisions, multi-task, and work effectively under pressure
• Ability to work with the public and handle potentially difficult situations with skill and tact
• Ability to speak effectively in public
• Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
• Understanding of budget maintenance and responsible fiscal decision-making
• Must be able to lift & carry (up to 40 lbs) library materials, push, and/or pull book trucks, bend and reach, utilize a standard mouse and/ keyboard, and be able to spend a reasonable amount of time seated in front of a computer
• Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing

Application: Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and completed job application<http://ncantonlibrary.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/NCPLOnlineApplication.pdf> to Andrea Legg, Director: alegg at northcantonlibrary.org by December 31.

Andrea Legg

Director | North Canton Public Library

185 North Main Street | North Canton, OH 44720

w: www.ncantonlibrary.com<http://www.ncantonlibrary.com/>

p: 330.499.4712 x315

m: 330.546.3064

e:alegg at northcantonlibrary.org<mailto:alegg at northcantonlibrary.org>