[OPLINLIST] State Library of Ohio Awarded Community Service Award

marshams at library.ohio.gov marshams at library.ohio.gov
Wed Nov 10 09:54:24 EST 2021

Please excuse duplicate emails.
Read and see photo on State Library website.<https://library.ohio.gov/news/state-library-of-ohio-awarded-community-service-award/>

The State Library of Ohio has been awarded the Community Service Award by the American Council of the Blind of Ohio (ACB-Ohio). The award was presented to Tracy Grimm, Manager of Circulation and Special Services, at the 2021 ACB-Ohio Annual Convention. The Community Service Award recognizes efforts to enhance the lives of Ohioans with vision impairment or low vision.  The ACB-Ohio Awards Committee expressed their appreciation with the following statement.

The State Library of Ohio has served for many years as the provider of talking book equipment for Ohio's blind, visually impaired, and physically disabled National Library Service (NLS) patrons. Tracy Grimm became head of the Talking Book Program more than ten years ago and has advanced the program through her personal involvement and dedication.  She has made efforts to include other activities, including promoting artistic endeavors of students at the Ohio State School for the Blind.  The Ohio Talking Book Program opens reading possibilities for people who rely on audiobooks, making it a vital part of the Ohio community.

"Providing the Talking Book Program to Ohioans who are blind, visually impaired or print disabled is one of the most meaningful programs we support at the State Library of Ohio," said Wendy Knapp, State Librarian of Ohio. "Tracy's leadership in this program is a great example of the agency's dedication to serving all Ohioans."

"I am so pleased and honored to accept this award on behalf of the State Library of Ohio Talking Book Program." expressed Tracy Grimm, Manager of Circulation and Special Services.  "A very special thanks to the ACB-Ohio Awards Committee and Vicky Prahin for selecting our program to receive this award. Throughout my 29 years of service at the State Library, serving the patrons of this program remains one of the most rewarding aspects of my job."
_______________

National Library Service <https://www.loc.gov/nls/> (NLS) is a free braille and talking book library service for people with temporary or permanent low vision, blindness, or a physical, perceptual, or reading disability that prevents them from using regular print materials. The State Library of Ohio coordinates the Ohio Talking Book Program<https://library.ohio.gov/using-the-library/services-for-the-blind/#TalkingBookServices> and serves as the machine lending agency for the state. This library program provides free recorded books, magazines, and playback equipment to 15,000 eligible Ohio residents. The recorded materials are circulated by Ohio Library for the Blind and Physically Disabled<https://cpl.org/aboutthelibrary/ohio-library-for-the-blind-physically-disabled/> in Cleveland. Funding is provided by a combination of federal, state, and local governments.

The American Council of the Blind of Ohio<https://www.acbohio.org> (ACB-Ohio) is a is a 501(C)(3) non-profit membership organization incorporated in Ohio with offices in Columbus. ACB-Ohio strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and quality of life, for all blind and visually impaired Ohioans. ACB-Ohio is one of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates of the American Council of the Blind<https://www.acb.org>.

###

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D7D614.723A91D0]
Marsha McDevitt-Stredney, Ph.D.
Public Information Officer