[OPLINLIST] library card request from non-resident

Kristi Hale hale at wrightlibrary.org
Fri Jan 7 11:15:06 EST 2022

Sandy,

We receive many out-of-state requests. Public libraries in most other states are not as well-funded as Ohio libraries and do not offer the rich online resources that many of us offer. We currently do not allow them because they are not paying Ohio taxes, and it would unfairly disadvantage Ohio patrons that already have some long wait times for online materials (Libby), and also so many of our online resources are pay per use (Hoopla, Kanopy, etc.).

Some libraries (i.e. Dayton Metro) do allow out-of-state cards for an annual fee. We may consider that, but we want to do some analysis of what would be fair to charge. With the robust online resources, the annual fee would likely be significant.

Good luck,
Kristi