[OPLINLIST] Presentation: How to Start Your Own Sensory Support Group, Feb 4 @ 10:00 am

jdwyer at library.ohio.gov jdwyer at library.ohio.gov
Wed Jan 19 08:13:33 EST 2022

Posted on behalf of Grace Walker. Cross-posted; please excuse duplication.

In February, Maria Cotto from the Rhode Island Children's Sensory Support Group will be giving a presentation on how to start a sensory support group in Ohio. This presentation is open to any Ohio library staff member who would be interested in forming a support group in Ohio. The support group would meet periodically to discuss programming ideas and services for individuals with disabilities.
Below you will find a description of the presentation and a link to register for the event. Questions regarding the event can be sent to Grace Walker, gwalker at pickeringtonlibrary.org<mailto:gwalker at pickeringtonlibrary.org>.

How to Start Your Own Sensory Support Group and Make a Difference in Your State
Presented by Maria Cotto

During this presentation, I will provide librarians with information about the process of starting a sensory support group. Through this presentation, I aim to raise awareness about the needs of families that care for loved ones with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), as well as help fellow librarians work towards implementing sensory-friendly programs that meet ASD needs. We will learn how collaboration among public libraries and non-profit organizations that serve individuals with ASD has helped to create a stronger community for these individuals and their families. Together we can make a difference and better serve the underserved population.

Presentation will take place Friday, February 4 at 10:00 a.m. EST. Register here: https://forms.office.com/r/kyN8EVQQTk

Maria Cotto is a Bilingual Children's Librarian at the Pawtucket Public Library. She is one of the founders of the Rhode Island Children's Sensory Support Group. The group seeks to empower youth services librarians to better serve children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families by expanding programming, outreach, partnership, and resources that welcome all abilities.

Grace Walker |MLIS |she, her, hers
Youth Services Librarian
Pickerington Public Library
201 Opportunity Way | Pickerington, OH. 43147
Phone 614-837-4104 ext. 231 | Fax 614-837-8425
gwalker at pickeringtonlibrary.org<mailto:gwalker at pickeringtonlibrary.org>