[OPLINLIST] Author talk at Cleveland Botanical Garden

Marisha Sullivan msullivan at holdenfg.org
Tue Feb 7 09:27:49 EST 2023

Library friends and colleagues,

Holden Forests & Gardens is proud to present a talk and Q&A with Carolyn Finney, author of Black Faces, White Spaces: Reimagining the Relationship of African Americans to the Great Outdoors. The talk will take place in person on Saturday, February 25, from 1 – 3 p.m. at Cleveland Botanical Garden. Tickets are $20 and includes admission to the Gardens for the day.

Carolyn Finney, PhD, is a storyteller, author and cultural geographer who is deeply interested in issues related to identity, difference, creativity, and resilience. Using both academic and artistic ways of knowing, her work explores the important intersection of race and place, challenging us to question and expand the language of mainstream environmentalism to include a multitude of Black experiences on the land. Her writing incorporates environmental history, arts and culture, and social justice to highlight the past, present, and future of African Americans and the outdoors.

I hope you'll be able to join us for this important and timely conversation. Admission is included in the ticket price, so be sure to check out our Orchids Forever exhibit when you come. For more information and to register for a ticket to the program, click here<https://holdenfg.org/classes/cleveland-botanical-garden/race-place-a-conversation-with-author-carolyn-finney/>.

Feel free to help spread the word!

Marisha Sullivan
she/her/hers
Librarian
Holden Forests & Gardens
216-707-2845 or x149

Take a mid-winter trip to the tropics…without leaving Cleveland! The Cleveland Botanical Garden’s Orchids Forever<https://holdenfg.org/events/cleveland-botanical-garden/orchids-forever-3/> takes place Saturday, January 28th through Sunday, March 12th. Plenty of adventure awaits outside this season at the Holden Arboretum<http://www.holdenfg.org/> with miles of hiking and snowshoeing. Have you joined the People for Trees<https://holdenfg.org/make-an-impact/people-for-trees/> movement yet? Planting a tree is one of the most important things you can do to combat climate change in Northeast Ohio. We have more than 9,000 trees pledged, planted, and given away and need your help today to help meet our goal of planting and caring for 15,000 new trees by 2025. Visit holdenfg.org<http://www.holdenfg.org/> to pledge to plant a tree. Register for our enewsletter here.<https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001kkqO0FxDKZThm-VYYY5Z0iqluZRTYpnE9Z2YElGL4KPKmGhauBLhouAX77XCJ6UfJkDYrOMBxUhDgfsvn89yxHBKOvTc9EbIXyRIEh2qKIdJB05Q6OAvXrayASDOfBTF7VxYhK1THZs13NBrPhm0TO90tfF_6MvZZ7oFcYXrhJidIU8N7t6JDJcDMBkjmP1vFk8vEKNYS_A>