[OPLINLIST] Reminder: Google will enforce mail best practices

Jessica Dooley jessica at oplin.ohio.gov
Mon Nov 6 15:59:51 EST 2023

A friendly reminder for email administrators:

Google
<https://blog.google/products/gmail/gmail-security-authentication-spam-protection/>
and Yahoo
<https://blog.postmaster.yahooinc.com/post/730172167494483968/more-secure-less-spam>
announced that starting in February 2024 they will enforce best practices
for email sent to Gmail and Yahoo recipients. Additional guidelines apply
to domains sending more than 5,000 messages/day.

To ensure that email you send will continue to be delivered successfully:

   - Configure SPF, DKIM, and DMARC for your mail domain.
   - Ensure that mail from your domain passes DMARC alignment.
   - Ensure the IP address sending mail for your domain has a PTR record.
   - Verify that mail sent from your domain is standards compliant (RFC
   5322).
   - Include one-click unsubscribe links.

Google's email sender guidelines:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126

Yahoo's email sender guidelines:
https://senders.yahooinc.com/best-practices/

A good resource for planning DMARC implementation or enabling enforcement:
https://seanthegeek.net/459/demystifying-dmarc/

Some general guidelines:
Review third-party service providers that send email on behalf of your
domain.
If you send a high volume of mail, consider implementing an outbound mail
rate limit.
Monitor the deliverability of mail sent by your domain, and review DMARC
reports provided by recipient servers.

Please drop me a note if I can answer any questions. Have a good afternoon,

Jessica D. Dooley (she/her)
Technology Project Manager
Ohio Public Library Information Network
jessica at oplin.ohio.gov