[OPLINLIST] NEO-RLS News: Membership Meeting Wrap Up, Community Picks, Summer Reading & More

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Mon Nov 20 08:37:01 EST 2023

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Newsletter%20Header%20Update.png]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Thanskgiving%20closure%202023%20slide.jpg]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Ragan%20Snead.jfif]

A Note From the
Executive Director

This week, we held our Annual Membership Meeting and Appreciation Breakfast and I wanted to take a moment to recap the event for those who could not attend. We started our morning by highlighting the member benefits, progress, and financials of NEO-RLS over the last year and providing an update from the State Library of Ohio. We also announced the winners of the 2023 Rising Star, Shooting Star, and Advocacy Awards. We will highlight the winners in our next newsletter on November 29th.

We had the pleasure of hosting Bethany Studenic and Chinenye Nkemere from Enlightened Solutions as our guest speakers. Their engaging presentation provided valuable insights that are crucial to the work we do in libraries every day. They shared compelling data on intergenerational learning and support, DEI trends, and creating authentic work environments for all. They emphasized the importance of investing our time and resources in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives and practicing self-care while taking on that difficult work.

I extend my heartfelt gratitude to our exceptional featured speakers and to everyone who attended the membership meeting. Your participation and engagement are what make this event a highlight of our year. Thank you all for your continued support and dedication.

Have a great day!

Ragan

December & January Programs

December

So You are a New Children’s Librarian Supervisor or you Want to be One?<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242317391&mm=85766457053>

12/5/2023

Management in Harmony<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242318613&mm=85766457053>

12/6/2023

Special Libraries Network Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242319835&mm=85766457053>

12/6/2023

Dealing with Digital Distractions: Ideas and Recommendations for Libraries<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242316169&mm=85766457053>

12/7/2023

Adult Services Virtual Networking Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242321057&mm=85766457053>

12/7/2023

Special Libraries: How Can They Help Your Patrons and Library<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242322279&mm=85766457053>

12/12/2023

Patron Bashing in Public Libraries: Its Effect on the Professional and the Profession<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242323501&mm=85766457053>

12/13/2023

Library Boot Camp: Reaching the Community Through Programming and Outreach<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242324723&mm=85766457053>

12/14/2023

January

Strategic Leadership<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242325945&mm=85766457053>

1/10/2024

Mark Your Calendar for Thursday, January 11, 2024
Children's Summer Reading Workshop:  The Adventure Begins at Your Library
Hilton Garden Inn, Twinsburg

NEW-So, You Want to be a Manager?<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242327167&mm=85766457053>

1/25/2024

Watch the website and newsletter for more programs in 2024

[View Full Calendar]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Membership%20Meeting.jpg]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Announcements.jpg]

Webinar Time Change

Patron Bashing in Public Libraries: Its Effect on the Professional and the Profession webinar scheduled for Wednesday, December 13, 2023 is now scheduled from 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm instead of 10:00 am - 11:00 am.

Summer Reading Planning Meetings for Teen and Adult

If you are interested in assisting with planning the Teen and the Adult Summer Reading workshops please email Melissa Lattanz<mailto:lattanzm at neo-rls.org>i if you are able to attend the following Zoom meetings.

Teen SRP meeting-Monday, November 27th at 11:00 am

Adult SRP meeting-Monday, November 27th at 2:00 pm

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Inclusive%20Decision%20Making%20Archives%20slide.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242329611&mm=85766457053>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/State%20Library%20of%20Ohio.jpg]

CSLP Virtual Summer Symposium - Thursday, December 7 - registration now open!

CSLP’s Virtual Summer Symposium

Adventure Begins at Your Library

Thursday, December 7, 11:00 am – 4:30 pm ET

Registration now open<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242330833&mm=85766457053>

The Collaborative Summer Library Program’s Summer Symposium is a half-day virtual offering for public library staff to connect, learn, and collaborate as we plan for summer library programming around the 2024 theme of Adventure Begins at your Library.

Learn more and register: www.cslpreads.org/summer-symposium<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242332055&mm=85766457053>

Not able to attend?  Sign up to receive a notice when recordings are posted<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242333277&mm=85766457053>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/NSA%202023%20Graduates.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242323501&mm=85766457053>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/NEO-RLS%20Community%20Picks%20Logo.png]

I found the ikigai exercise below was incredibly helpful in thinking about my future career path.
https://becomingbetter.org/ikigai/<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242334499&mm=85766457053>

Recommended by:  Scott Trimmer, Director – Learning Commons, Cuyahoga Community College – Eastern Campus

From the Library Marketing and Communications Conference

The free version that I would like to recommend to everyone is the Library Marketing Book Club which is run through Facebook. We read a different book related to marketing every month and meet via Zoom, usually on the 4th Tuesday of the month, for an hour of discussion, often with the author in attendance. The Facebook group also offers support and help with ideas for marketing and raising awareness of library services. There are some well-known people there as well as us just average folks trying to make a difference in our communities. It is a free source of learning and support and I am enjoying it!

The book club is found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/librarymarketingbookclub<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242335721&mm=85766457053>

The LMCC home page is here: Library Marketing Conference Group - Home<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242336943&mm=85766457053> and also have a Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/LMCConference<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242338165&mm=85766457053>

Recommended by: Tamara Gordon, Supervisor - Library, Cuyahoga Community College-East

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/December%202023%20Networking%20Meetings%20slide_centered.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242339387&mm=85766457053>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/oplin_logo_0.png]

The State of Ohio is launching the Ohio Persistent Cyber Improvement initiative to help state and local agencies improve their cybersecurity preparedness. Public libraries are eligible, and participation is free.

O-PCI will offer three tiers of engagement, sized for small through large organizations. Participating organizations can receive:

  *   security training tailored for IT staff, managers, and decision makers
  *   assistance completing a cybersecurity inventory
  *   a cybersecurity best practices review and internal audit
  *   help developing a security response plan
  *   a red-on-blue response exercise.

The Ohio Persistent Cyber Improvement project launches in January 2024.

O-PCI is hosting a short informational webinar on Tuesday, December 5 at 12:00 p.m.

Register: https://oplin.org/go/opciwebinar<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242340609&mm=85766457053>

Contact Jessica D, Dooley<mailto:jessica at oplin.ohio.gov> with questions.

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Leading%20Through%20Transitions%20slide.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242341831&mm=85766457053>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/NIOTSL.jfif]

Register now for NOTSL virtual Fall Meeting, Friday, December 1, 2023

Registration is now open for “DEI DIY: Tools for Enhancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Your Library,” which will be held on December 1, 2023, 9:30 AM - 4:35 PM EST, via Zoom. All are welcome; membership is conferred on all attendees. Register via Eventbrite<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242343053&mm=85766457053>.

Treshani Perera, Head of Fine Arts Technical Services, Lucille Caudill Little Fine Arts Library, University of Kentucky Libraries, will present the keynote address on “A Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Toolkit for Technical Services.” The keynote will focus on challenges impacting DEI work, identifying biases in cataloging systems and standards, inclusion, and advocacy in cataloging, tools, and strategies for equitable access to collections, hiring practices supporting a diverse workforce in technical services, and fostering a technical services workforce adept in cultural concepts.

Visit NOTSL’s website (www.NOTSL.org<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242344275&mm=85766457053>) for full program information.

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Account%20White%20Background.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242345497&mm=85766457053>
[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/CE%20White%20Background.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242346719&mm=85766457053>
[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Jobline.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=242347941&mm=85766457053>