[OPLINLIST] alphabetizing/weeding flash-mob

Greenford Community Library greenfordpubliclibrary at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 16:14:09 EST 2024

I was hoping to post this here for anyone who is interested, able to help,
can forward this to their "friends of the Library" groups or knows anyone
who is retired that might like to revisit the GLORY DAYS.
Our library will be having an
*ALPHA-WEEDING DAY *
*Monday, February 26th 10-5pm  *
*pizza and refreshments provided!*
I have mailed invitations to local libraries but hope I can get enough
people to get this all done in one day! We are looking for 6-8 people who
just can't get enough of alphabetizing (especially the children's section)
and 4-5 people who love to weed ADULT FICTION and NON-FICTION so much that
they would help a small library out.
As a volunteer based library we run pretty smoothly, we reopened in October
and are seeing a huge response in the community! EVERYONE is thrilled. Our
volunteers are wonderful and save me a lot of time when it comes to the
small day to day things so that I can focus on grant writing,
marketing/advertising, ordering books, planning and executing
programs/activities, and all the other things that are involved in the "day
to day" duties of director/every other position.
I have been working on moving things around to make things a little
bit easier as far as shelving is concerned and have noticed a small flaw in
my volunteer system..........
*They are not perfect alphabetizers.* I am finding that if one book gets
put out of place then it starts attracting others that belong with it in
that incorrect place.... Also a lot of misshelved books by type, Adult in
YA,  paperbacks on the regular shelves etc. It's a lot of SMALL things that
add up to a big job.
As far as the weeding goes I need to take a few hundred copies of adult
fiction off the wall to allow space to add another shelf for Junior/YA.
Also we frequently get non-fiction books and have no space to shelve them.
It's a small section and I try to keep something from all topics but I am a
little overwhelmed when it comes to choosing what to take off and what to
keep.
If you are able to help please let me know, you can text or call me at the
number below. Hope to see you then!
--
Raquel Scheetz
330.398.0131