[OPLINLIST] WebJunction Content & Upcoming Webinars

marshams at library.ohio.gov marshams at library.ohio.gov
Fri Jan 19 13:04:04 EST 2024

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D92CE3.2549EB60]
WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research<https://www.oclc.org/research.html>, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.

Highlighted Content
Stronger Together: Collective Impact and Climate Action<https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/stronger-together.html>: Climate change is the grandest challenge of our generation. This requires a level of collaboration that has not been seen before. For many years we have waited for governments and businesses to solve for climate change, but the reality of the situation is that every job is a climate job, and every institution is a climate action vehicle. Libraries are uniquely positioned to aid in this effort due to our educational mission; our vision for a stronger future for all through knowledge acquisition and respect for the wisdom of those who came before us; and the trust equity we currently maintain in our communities, on our campuses, and in our schools.

2024 National Day of Racial Healing<https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/national-day-of-racial-healing-2023.html>: The National Day of Racial Healing (NDORH) is an opportunity for people, organizations, and communities to call for racial healing, bring people together in their shared humanity and take action together to create a more just and equitable world. NDORH was created by W.K. Kellogg Foundation in 2017, building on the work and learnings of the Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) initiative, to support  a national and community-based process to plan for and bring about transformational and sustainable change, and to address the historic and contemporary effects of racism. The National Day of Racial Healing is observed every year on the Tuesday following Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Read on for resources and strategies that libraries can use to encourage community participation in this year's National Day of Racial Healing, on January 16, 2024.

Sustainable Swag Self-Evaluation Rubric for Vendors and Library Workers<https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/sustainable-swag-rubric.html>: Have you ever considered the environmental impact of swag? Whether you're attending a national conference or a local event, you're likely to see examples of pens, tote bags, and trinkets being distributed by libraries and vendors alike. While we all recognize the important role that swag can play in marketing, the American Library Association’s Sustainability Round Table, Public Awareness and Advocacy Committee would like vendors and attendees to begin thinking more critically about the types of swag that are offered, what we pick up, and what we do with those items after the event ends.
interested in providing outreach services for children and families.

WebJunction Webinars for You

These upcoming webinars are open for registration. If you can’t attend a live session, all WebJunction webinars are recorded and available for free in the Course Catalog<https://learn.webjunction.org/>.

Building Authentic Relationships with Underserved Communities
Tuesday, January 30, 2024 ◆ 2:00 pm Eastern / 11:00 am Pacific ◆ 60 minutes
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/building-authentic-relationships.html

You know your library could do more to connect with and respond to the systematically excluded communities you serve. But if you're starting with little or no existing connection, how do you build authentic, trust-based relationships? How do you go beyond transactional interactions and guessing at services to effective engagement and participation? This webinar will help you develop a plan for identifying, reaching, and building relationships with communities experiencing oppression.
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
*        Articulate the connection between relationship-building and equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice (EDISJ) in library services
*        Create, maintain, and utilize a simple asset map to understand your community's ecosystem
*        Apply the principles of asset-based community development to your own projects

Switching it Up! Creating a Video Game Collection for Your Library
Thursday, February 22, 2024 ◆ 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific ◆ 60 minutes
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/video-game-collection.html

Video games are a dynamic, modern, popular medium worthy of a place in every library, but starting a collection can feel overwhelming. You might have questions like, how much funding will it require? Are these materials more prone to theft? Is this a juvenile collection, young adult, or one for all ages? This webinar will provide you with practical solutions for all your questions. We’ll walk through the process of creating, maintaining, and promoting a new video game collection. You’ll hear lessons learned and tips for success that Billings Public Library used to create a successful collection, along with strategies from other libraries around the country. You’ll leave ready to get started creating what is sure to be one of your library’s most well-circulating collections.

Co-Creating Library Services for Transformative Impact
Tuesday, February 22, 2024 ◆ 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific ◆ 60 minutes
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/co-creating-library-services.html

The most relevant and dynamic ideas can grow from collaborating with impacted communities. Co-creation is one of the most effective ways for libraries to turn diversity, equity, and inclusion ideals into real-world services. In this session, you’ll learn about the fundamentals of co-design and explore how to apply them in your library for wildly creative and deeply impactful programs and services. As a result of this webinar, you’ll be able to:
*        Define co-design and its role in creating library services
*        Identify multiple ways of sharing power with community
*        Apply basic principles and techniques from human-centered design to facilitate co-creation
*        Draw on real-world examples for inspiration

###
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D92CE3.2549EB60]
Marsha McDevitt-Stredney, Ph.D.
Public Information Officer