[OPLINTECH] Imaging software

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Mon Sep 24 14:32:13 EDT 2007

There are several free imaging apps available. I have used g4u (ghost
for unix) Its a bootable cd that will let you copy a whole hard drive
bit for bit, compress it, and send it to a ftp server. You can also pull
an image from the ftp server to write it to the computer. I use this to
create an image for a staff machine. I then will use the staff image as
a starting point when setting a computer up for staff use.
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

For the public machines I use UDP Cast. This is a bootable cd that can
be downloaded. One computer is booted up to be the sender, the others
are booted to be receivers. after the last machine is booted, press any
key on any machine to start the process. This will copy bit for bit the
contents of the sender's hard drive to the receivers. Then I just check
on it every now and then to see if its done. When it finishes I then go
around to each machine and perform machine specific settings like
renaming them.
I also use this on the laptops we have for computer classes. The
advantage to this is that you don't need to create or store an image
file. Since we have at least 20 computers all configured the same for
public internet access I am banking on that not all of them will have a
hard drive failure at the same time.
Its best to use this when the network is not needed or if you have
everything to be "imaged" on its own network. It will flood your network
with udp packets until its completed.
http://udpcast.linux.lu/

There is also:
Ghost for linux http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l
similar to g4u but uses linux instead of BSD, helpful if you run into a
network card driver issue with g4u.
 and
Clonezilla http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/
I want to look more into clonezilla. It looks pretty neat.

One pretty neat commercial product is Altiris
http://www.altiris.com/Products/ClientManagementSuite.aspx

I hope this helps.

--
-Ed Liddle