[OPLINTECH] Public Web Browser (PWB)

Tim Burns tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us
Tue Aug 13 10:10:13 EDT 2013

In the beginning-- dedicated CATALOG computers boot up and automagically start PWB (Public Web Browser). Last week (and I think it was Wednesday) I was notified that some (9 by my count) of the configured machines have to be "started" manually now. (this means dbl-clicking on the PWB shortcut on the Desktop) Some (5 or so) function as originally prepared.

What has changed?
I'm still looking for variables. We did upgrade our circuit, and switched from T1 to Cable, and that change began in the related timeframe. Would/could DHCP vs Static settings confound my old tired boxes? sure- networking is a science.

I scoured one path of AD settings (Group Policy)... almost nothing was configured for the user "pccat2", which is 'who' the CATALOG computers login as. Ctrl-Alt-Del was the only thing-- not even a startup or login script. I'm not sure who/what is telling PWB to load on the machines. It's possible that each "machine" is individually configured, or there is a group of machines that I've not yet encountered, somewhere in AD.

Anyone can offer a best way to hunt this down? I don't want to miss the obvious, and Windows is not my friend.
--

Tim Burns
Birchard Public Library of Sandusky County
tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us