[OPLINTECH] Intermittent network issues

Danny Will danwill at meigs.onmicrosoft.com
Thu Mar 17 12:42:11 EDT 2022

Hi all,
     It's not often that I'm stumped but...

I have a windows 2019 server with 2 virtual machines running Ubuntu Linux server (no GUI installed). Both are 20.0.4.3 but, that really isn't the important part. Both are running websites. One is a copy of the Meeting Room Booking System and it runs perfect. The other is a slightly modified copy of Omeka database system that we use as our local history site. Cataloging newspapers, High School yearbooks, Photographs, & just about anything else that is historically worthy of keeping. While it is getting kind of large, it works fine EXCEPT...

>From time to time, & without any indication of why, this site cannot be reached. I have tried the WAN address by both FQDN & IP address. I have tried the LAN address (10.66.76.24) to no avail. If I log onto the virtual machine, I can ping the internal DNS server & any external address (google.com, etc.).
This comes and goes without rhyme or reason. At this point I am ready to pull out what little hair I have out.

I thought at 1st, that the firewall was the issue, so I changed things around to by-pass the usual firewall. Worked for a little while then it was down again (worked for maybe 2 or 3 hours, just enough time that I left for home just to hear a short time later we were getting calls about it being down again).  So it was not the firewall. I made a small change to the NIC settings on the server. It worked fine after that...for 20 minutes back down.

TIA

Dan Will
Meigs County District Public Library
Technology Supervisor