[OPLINTECH] Intermittent network issues

Matthew Kinsey matt at guernseycountylibrary.org
Thu Mar 17 12:52:53 EDT 2022

Dan,

Overlapping IPs? I would check any devices on the same internal address range that might have the same address, either static (like a printer that is only powered on once in a while). Most of the time static IPs are outside the dynamic range, but it is possible to forget something. Also, make sure nothing like a wireless access point has a second address server running, which might happen if the network appliance was reset.

Hope this helps,

Matt Kinsey

IT Coordinator

Guernsey County District Public Library

---- On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 12:42:11 -0400 Danny Will via OPLINTECH <oplintech at lists.oplin.org> wrote ----

Hi all,

     It’s not often that I’m stumped but…

I have a windows 2019 server with 2 virtual machines running Ubuntu Linux server (no GUI installed). Both are 20.0.4.3 but, that really isn’t the important part. Both are running websites. One is a copy of the Meeting Room Booking System and it runs perfect. The other is a slightly modified copy of Omeka database system that we use as our local history site. Cataloging newspapers, High School yearbooks, Photographs, & just about anything else that is historically worthy of keeping. While it is getting kind of large, it works fine EXCEPT…

>From time to time, & without any indication of why, this site cannot be reached. I have tried the WAN address by both FQDN & IP address. I have tried the LAN address (10.66.76.24) to no avail. If I log onto the virtual machine, I can ping the internal DNS server & any external address (google.com, etc.).

This comes and goes without rhyme or reason. At this point I am ready to pull out what little hair I have out.

I thought at 1st, that the firewall was the issue, so I changed things around to by-pass the usual firewall. Worked for a little while then it was down again (worked for maybe 2 or 3 hours, just enough time that I left for home just to hear a short time later we were getting calls about it being down again).  So it was not the firewall. I made a small change to the NIC settings on the server. It worked fine after that…for 20 minutes back down.

TIA

Dan Will

Meigs County District Public Library

Technology Supervisor

mailto:danwill at meigslibrary.org

740.992.5813

OPLINTECH at lists.oplin.org

****** ****** Ready to level up your library's website to something that meets current standards and is easy to manage? OPLIN's Website Kits are what you're looking for: https://www.oplin.ohio.gov/webkit ****** ******