[OPLINTECH] Intermittent network issues

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Sat Mar 19 17:55:46 EDT 2022

Dan,

So to clarify:

   - You have two linux Virtual Machines running under a Windows Host
   server.
   - One of the VMs is working normally and experiencing no network
   problems.
   - The other VM is working normally for a short while and then randomly
   is no longer responding to attempts to connect to the web server service
   via either its WAN or LAN address. While at the same time the problem is
   occurring, it *is* able to establish a successful *outbound* connection
   to a device on the internet or your local LAN.

Do I have that correct?

You've indicated that you can't connect to the web server service running
on your Ubuntu 20.04 VM (when it's acting up). You've also said that you
can ping your local DNS server from the Ubuntu server. But is the
Ubuntu server *responding* to ping requests while it's misbehaving? If it's
still responding to pings even while you can't connect to the web server
(apache?) service, then you should maybe focus your efforts on just the web
server service. If that's the case, then while you're experiencing the
problem, stop/restart apache (or whatever web server you're using) and see
if just doing that alone is enough to get it working again, at least
temporarily. If solely restarting apache (or whatever) makes it work for a
little while, then focus there. If that makes no difference, then at least
you can exclude that from your consideration.

If the Ubuntu server *isn't* responding to pings (assuming you're not
specifically blocking ICMP Echo Requests in the local Ubuntu firewall, if
it's enabled) or on other ports like maybe SSH when it normally DOES
respond to those services, then you're looking at a more core problem in
your Ubuntu VM or perhaps a network issue outside of your VM
entirely...maybe at the host Windows Server or elsewhere.

Based on the little bit of info you've provided so far, my *blind* *guess*
is that your network is fine; your host Windows Server is fine; your Ubuntu
server VM is fine; and that you may have a problem in your web server
service running on the problem Ubuntu server VM. But it's just a complete
guess at this point. Just keep trying to cut the problem in half until you
arrive at a plausible root cause. For example:

   - Is it hardware or software? Well, your Windows Server is fine and one
   of the two Ubuntu VMs is fine, so the server hardware is probably fine.
   - So software then:  Is it your host Windows Server/virtualization
   hypervisor software or is it something within the VM's operating system?
   Well, the other Ubuntu VM works fine and so does the host Windows Server,
   so it's probably just within the problematic Ubuntu VM.
   - So just one Ubuntu server then:  Does ALL inbound and outbound network
   communication stop? No...just inbound. Ok. So it's probably not a general
   network interface problem or an IP address conflict.
   - So network interface works, but something's blocking inbound network
   traffic:  What's good at blocking inbound network traffic? The firewall. Is
   it Ubuntu's firewall? Disable it, if it's safe to do so.
   - Problem still exists with the Ubuntu firewall disabled? Then not the
   Ubuntu firewall. Maybe a firewall on the Windows Server host is
   misconfigured in some way? Do all services running on the Ubuntu server
   stop responding or just the web server?
   - Can still ping the Ubuntu server even while you can't connect to the
   HTTP(S) server? Can you SSH into the Ubuntu server? Yes; yes?...Probably
   something to do with just the HTTP(S) server.
   - Can't ping the Ubuntu server AND can't connect via HTTP(s) to the web
   server service AND can't connect via SSH...AND the ubuntu server firewall
   is disabled...but can still establish outbound connections...either
   something's wrong in the Ubuntu server core OS or something that has an
   overarching ability to block incoming network traffic to the Ubuntu VM is
   at play...The host Windows Server's firewall? Network routing problem?

Until you can methodically narrow down the problem and define it a little
bit, it could really be just about anything. The trick is to just keep
cutting the (any) problem down into logical halves until you've reached a
small enough half that you can deal with.

HTH and good luck!

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*