[OPLINTECH] EXTERNAL: Intermittent network issues

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Mon Mar 21 09:36:03 EDT 2022

Dan,
How do you have the IP address setup on the ubuntu machine that you are having problems with?
We had a physical machine running ubuntu. I was using a DHCP reservation to assign it an IP address based on the MAC address of the NIC.
It would work for a while then we would have trouble accessing it on the network.
What I discovered is when we had trouble, the IP address and MAC address changed on the computer. When we had trouble, I would log into the ubuntu server and check the ip address on the command line. It would show a different IP address. I would then look up the new IP address on the windows DHCP server and notice that the MAC address was different than the DHCP reservation I made for it.
What I ended up doing was configuring the Ubuntu server to use a static IP address, which was a different process than I was used to.
This article explains how to configure a static IP address by editing a yaml configuration file.
https://www.osradar.com/set-a-static-ip-address-ubuntu-20-04/

When you experience trouble with it, log into the ubuntu server and check to see what IP address it is getting. If it pulls a different IP address from the DHCP server, you will be able to ping other machines on the LAN and get a response since it does have an IP address. Anything trying to access the server from the network won't be able to find it if the IP address changed.

I hope this helps.

-Ed Liddle
Marysville Public Library
http://marysvillelib.org