[OPLINTECH] Feedback Requested: Front-Facing Technology Staff & Space

Joe Dusenbery joe at muskingumlibrary.org
Wed Jun 7 13:26:02 EDT 2023

Howdy OPLIN Tech Community,

Looking for some feedback.

We are discussing a lot about our front-facing technology department (we
call them Emerging Technologies) and what the future of this department
looks like. That department has adapted to the changing needs of our
community several times over the last 5+ years and we are trying to figure
out how that department might look over the next 5+ years (good luck,
right?). The major push for this current research is because we are trying
to figure out how we incorporate their space in a remodel. We don't have a
makerspace, but we do have some equipment and technology we do programs
around and share with the public.

At the core, I think we spend the most time helping adults navigate
changing technologies (usually on their phones, tablets, or computers).

What do you all do? Do you have a public reservable "Makerspace?" Is "Tech
Help" everyone's responsibility? Primarily someone's responsibility? What
does your community ask for the most: one-on-one training, classes, an
introduction to what's new (AI, for instance), miscellaneous programs, etc.
Do you have staff manage a computer area, or is it unstaffed or spread
throughout the building?

Any feedback that you can share will be helpful. As we analyze our own
situation, I'd love to hear what works (or doesn't) for you!

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph R. Dusenbery, MISST
IT Director