[OPLINTECH] Patron Computer Time Allotment

Joe Knueven joe at wilmington.lib.oh.us
Wed Oct 11 14:48:21 EDT 2023

We are pretty close to the same setup, except we don't functionally have a maximums on extensions:

1 hour, default of 1 hour extension though from a software standpoint staff can grant any length of extension the patron asks for, and unless they think we'll run out of open PCs staff will grant the length asked for (I think the longest I've given personally was 2 or 3 hours of extension at a time of day when I was certain we would not run out of computers)

reboot if idle for 15 minutes, warnings at 10,5&1, offer guest passes to anyone who asks and patrons can login with a library card directly.

Makes me wonder how busy our computers get at the busiest time of day (I haven't look closely at this metric in a while).

I know several folks who come in here during quieter morning hours who'd love for sessions to start at 2 hours instead of one.

Have a good day.

Joe

Joe Knueven, Director

Wilmington Public Library

268 N South Street

Wilmington, OH 45177

937-382-6165 x101 (office)

937-382-2417 (public)

---- On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 13:48:02 -0400 Hamman, Jeremy via OPLINTECH <oplintech at lists.oplin.org> wrote ---

Good afternoon,

We are reviewing our computer time allotment now that we are post Covid and a lot of patrons are bringing their own devices.  Curious to what everyone's time allotments, extensions, and basic restrictions are on public computers? We are considering extending the default allotment to help with not seeing the alert and the computer rebooting on them working.

We use...
- 1 hour
- 15 min extra time increment
- Max time up to 4 hours extension
- Reboot if idle after 15 min
- Warnings at 10, 5, and 1 min
- offer guest pass, but can walk up and sign in with library card

Thanks,

Jeremy Hamman
Systems Manager
Greene County Public Library