[oplinwebkits] Brief outage last night

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.ohio.gov
Thu Sep 17 09:16:06 EDT 2015

Hello folks,

There was another brief outage last night with a web server (this did not
affect all of the OPLIN Dynamic Website Kits), around 5:30pm.  Service was
restored shortly after 11 pm. This outage was likely related to the
original outage on Monday. More below, from Karl Jendretzky, OPLIN's
Technology Manager:

*The server was built quickly Monday on a new platform. The platform is
> currently supporting 2 other servers, and those servers were unaffected.
> The server had run updates while I was building it and was requesting a
> restart, but I was waiting for the next convenient time that nobody would
> notice. *

> *My thought is that the updates disabled some kind of garbage collection,
> so things were stacking up until the system crashed. I'd normally let a new
> system run for a couple weeks, but the hardware failure Monday pushed a
> quick turn around.*

> *To aid in monitoring I've created an account to provide outside
> monitoring of all OPLIN web servers which will notify not only my work
> accounts, but also my personal accounts.*

For more information about OPLIN incident response, please see
http://oplin.ohio.gov/webkit#response.

Please don't hesitate to ask, if you have any question. As always, thanks
for your patience!

Laura

--
*Laura Solomon, MCIW, MLS*
*Library Services Manager,* Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)