[SEO-Members] Science Action Club - STEM programming resources for middle school youth

jdwyer at library.ohio.gov jdwyer at library.ohio.gov
Wed Mar 20 09:03:48 EDT 2024

Posted on behalf of the California Academy of Sciences. Cross-posted. Please excuse duplication.

Embark on a backyard bug safari. Share atmospheric observations with NASA. Pilot your own paper bird. Science Action Club (SAC)<https://calacademy.org/science-action-club> takes youth outdoors to investigate nature and design creative solutions to our planet's most pressing problems-and have fun doing it. SAC kits feature games, projects, and hands-on investigations that inspire wonder for the natural world.

Designed for 5th - 8th-grade youth in out-of-school time (OST), SAC integrates citizen and community science apps into the activities investigations. Available in English and an English/Spanish bilingual format, each kit includes 12 activity plans, tools and supplies for 20 youth, and a self-paced online training for program staff.

We have two opportunities to enroll in Science Action Club:

  1.  We have two spots open in a grant-funded project pairing our Bug Safari kit with Eclipse resources. SAC kits, valued at $1,500, are provided at no cost to programs who enroll. See our project flyer<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OOjBQm_wd3MxUt9sNFZnJyBruIkDIvnv/view> for eligibility and enrollment steps. Deadline by 3/27.
  2.  SAC also offers ongoing enrollments into any of our three units - Bug Safari, Bird Scouts, and Cloud Quest - for libraries looking for STEM and nature programming. We use sliding-scale pricing<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EACh2H-5SvJdROb_wOkmeCQHLXzj07qW/view> to meet programs where they are at. Enroll here<https://www.calacademy.org/science-action-club/sac-kits-for-ost-programs> or reach out to a team member<mailto:scienceactionclub at calacademy.org>.

Learn more about Science Action Club<https://calacademy.org/science-action-club>. Questions may be directed to scienceactionclub at calacademy.org<mailto:scienceactionclub at calacademy.org>.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01DA5B30.0878E730]
Janet Ingraham Dwyer (she/her)
Library Consultant