[SEO-TECH] Does anyone have any cloning or copying software they would recommend.

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Apr 20 12:48:41 EDT 2021

Agreed. Ninite is similar to Chocolatey in that regard. I very, very
briefly used it myself before looking for a similar tool with a greater
selection and finding/moving on to Chocolatey. Choco has a MUCH greater
variety (thousands) of ready-to-go community-supported packages to choose
from (all free). But Ninite might be slightly more point-and-click easier
to use, if everything you need is in there. (I also haven't used it for
years, so it may be a bit different now.) Definitely also worth a look. If
Ninite can't give you all your applications, definitely check to see if
Chocolatey can. Choco is actually very easy to install and use.
Instructions on the website are simple and explicit. The choco install
command may look a little daunting, but it's quite literally cut-and-paste
from the website to a PowerShell console. Don't let any seeming complexity
of using Ninite or Choc deter you. They're not bad at all once you try and
they're definitely worth their weight in gold.

To Michael's point about Microsoft Office...same with Choco. But you're
able to set up your own Chocolatey repository if you want to. You can do
that to keep tight control over the programs that can be installed or to
provide your own custom installations for commercial products like Office
that you have license to use, or for custom-developed in-house
applications. You're probably not likely to go that far, but you certainly
have the option. I don't bother; I just use the community packages provided
by others. They suit my own needs perfectly fine. We use an alternate
method to mostly automate the Office install and config via the network.

______________________________
*My personal listserv policy:*

*I may not respond off-list to topical replies sent only/directly to me.*
*Libraries have a wonderfully amazing reputation for openness and sharing,
a concept I support and encourage. Your thoughts are useful and valuable. I
beg you to share them publicly so that other libraries can benefit from
them too and perhaps participate in an open conversation...which can't
occur off-list.*

*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*