[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #390: In the year 2018

Editor editor at oplin.org
Wed Jun 18 10:30:11 EDT 2014

OPLIN 4Cast

OPLIN 4cast #390: In the year 2018
June 18th, 2014

question markCompanies and organizations that make predictions about the
future often seem to focus on a five-year span. So in 2013, those
organizations were developing their forecasts for 2018. It takes a few
months, then, for those predictions to get published and disseminated in
the media. Now that we're a few months past 2013, we've seen a number of
articles lately based on those predictions, telling us how things will
be in 2018. Here are four of those articles, which may be of interest to
library tech folks.

  * E-books to outsell print by 2018 says new report
    <http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27694650> (BBC News)
    "Tim Waterstone told the Oxford Literary Festival in March that
    'every indication - certainly from America - shows the [e-book]
    share is already in decline. The indications are that it will do
    exactly the same in the UK.' But Phil Stokes, an entertainment and
    media partner at PwC [Pricewaterhouse Coopers], said: 'This growth
    is being driven by the internet and by consumers' love of new
    technology, particularly mobile technology.'"
  * After 2018, your PC won't be the main way we get online
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/10/pc-future-2018_n_5476502.html>
    (Huffington Post | Timothy Stenovec) "Last year, PCs accounted for
    86.4 percent of all Internet traffic. By 2018, the PC share of
    Internet traffic will drop to just 50.5 percent, according to Cisco.
    Compare that to smartphones and tablets, which last year accounted
    for a measly 5 percent and 3.1 percent, respectively, of global
    Internet traffic. In 2018, smartphones will jump to 21 percent of
    traffic, while tablets will account for 18 percent, according to Cisco."
  * Cat videos, binge TV watching will account for 84 percent of
    Internet traffic, Cisco says
    <http://recode.net/2014/06/10/cat-videos-binge-tv-watching-to-account-for-84-of-internet-traffic-cisco-says/>
    (Re/code | Amy Schatz) "In the U.S., Internet traffic is expected to
    surge from 15 exabytes per month last year to 37 exabytes monthly in
    2018. ... Internet video is expected to account for about 84 percent
    of all U.S. Internet traffic in four years, up from its current 78
    percent, Cisco says. That figure also includes IP VOD, which is
    basically pay-TV providers' on-demand video services."
  * Reminder: Nobody has a clue how many wearable devices will sell in
    2018
    <http://time.com/62989/reminder-nobody-has-a-clue-how-many-wearable-devices-will-sell-in-2018/>
    (Time | Harry McCracken) "Although I usually try to steer clear of
    making tech predictions myself, I am willing to make a bold one
    about the wearable market in 2018. I hereby declare that whatever it
    looks like then, the chances are zero that anybody will exclaim,
    'Gee, this was all so utterly predictable back in 2014.'"

*/Articles from Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:/*

  * Cisco Visual Networking Index predicts global IP traffic to grow
    nearly three-fold (reaching 1.6 zettabytes) by 2018
    <http://web.a.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/pov/detail?sid=5189b4a8-578c-4bfc-bfef-3601a06c7786%40sessionmgr4002&vid=2&hid=4214&bdata=JnNpdGU9cG92LWxpdmU%3d#db=pwh&AN=B2IDMKE1122375>.
    (/Marketwired/, 6/10/2014)
  * 10 factors that will determine wearable device success
    <http://web.a.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/ehost/detail?sid=473e302f-5817-473d-b79c-d515c3b0c87d%40sessionmgr4005&vid=3&hid=4214&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=buh&AN=95735333>.
    (/eWeek/, 4/22/2014 | Don Reisinger)
  * Left to our devices
    <http://web.b.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/chc/detail?sid=4971b83d-ed18-4dde-abf5-53130c8884ed%40sessionmgr198&vid=1&hid=117&bdata=JnNpdGU9Y2hjLWxpdmU%3d#db=cmh&AN=96299221>.
    (/American Libraries/, June 2014, p36-41 | interview)

The */OPLIN 4cast/* is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics,
and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it
in a variety of ways, such as:

  * *RSS feed.* You can receive the OPLIN 4cast via RSS feed by
    subscribing to the following URL:
    http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
  * *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
    to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
    orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In
    Internet Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to
    the 4cast RSS feed.
  * *E-mail.* You can have the OPLIN 4cast delivered via e-mail (a'la
    http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.

OPLIN 4Cast