[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #391: The visual Web should not be ignored

Editor editor at oplin.org
Wed Jun 25 10:30:17 EDT 2014

OPLIN 4Cast

OPLIN 4cast #391: The visual Web should not be ignored
June 25th, 2014

eyeballLike just about everyone else, librarians know and love Flickr,
Pinterest, and perhaps Instagram. Most of us have heard of Imgur,
Snapchat, and Vine, and know that they are wildly popular. But we may be
overlooking the significance of this interest in pictures and video on
the Internet. The phenomenon of the ever-increasing amount of images
that get sent every day over the Internet has (of course) been named:
the visual Web. The problem for libraries is that librarians have a
strong tendency to communicate online in text, and the same goes for
library websites. But the visual Web illustrates that Internet users are
much more likely to prefer websites that communicate through heavy use
of images.

  * Twitter has been too slow to catch up with the visual Web
    <http://readwrite.com/2014/06/18/twitter-gif-visual-web> (ReadWrite
    | Lauren Orsini) "People have grown tired of text. And with faster
    network speeds, their devices can load images just as quickly as
    they once loaded simpler applications. From the days of cave
    painting, humans have always been visual creatures. As attention
    spans shorten and Internet speeds increase, it's clear which we prefer."
  * The visual Web: How it's connecting marketers to customers like
    never before
    <http://www.business2community.com/online-marketing/visual-web-connecting-marketers-customers-like-never-0914313>
    (Business 2 Community | Olivia Cole) "The great thing about the
    Visual Web, says [VP of Marketing and Insights of comScore, Andrew]
    Lipsman, is that it enables brands to connect with their audiences
    on a different level than ever before. Lipsman gives Starbucks as an
    example. 'It's easy to feel like a cog in a machine in the long line
    at Starbucks every morning. But Starbucks' Instagram
    <http://instagram.com/starbucks> account shines a different light on
    the experience, making it meaningful and extraordinary.'"
  * The growth of the visual Web in 5 charts
    <http://digiday.com/platforms/5-charts-growth-visual-web/> (Digiday
    | Matt Van Hoven) "Certainly, one needn't upload an image or video
    to share it; all you need to do is find something you like online
    and share it. But in terms of new content, the numbers are
    staggering just the same. Snapchat boasts 276,000 snaps per minute.
    If that was miles per second, Snapchat would be faster than the
    speed of light (186,000 mps). Facebook comes in just behind with an
    average of 246,000 images and videos per second, which is roughly
    the population of Plano, Texas."
  * Journalists need to know how the rise of the mobile, social, visual
    Web impacts them
    <http://www.forbes.com/sites/lewisdvorkin/2014/06/09/inside-forbes-journalists-need-to-know-how-the-rise-of-the-mobile-social-visual-web-impacts-them/>
    (Forbes | Lewis DVorkin) "For me, statistics like these confirm the
    news business is on another collision course. A decade or more ago,
    journalism collided with the freedoms of digital publishing. Next
    came the collision with social media. Now, it's colliding with
    mobile, social and the visual Web. Journalists should take note."

*/Articles from Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:/*

  * A new way of looking at the video book trailer
    <http://web.a.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/lrc/detail?sid=f97241a6-84dc-40cb-a159-caef4f202037%40sessionmgr4001&vid=1&hid=4107&bdata=JnNpdGU9bHJjLWxpdmU%3d#db=lfh&AN=94508273>.
    (/Quill/, Jan/Feb 2014, p25 | Jack El-Hai)
  * Here's one to adopt early: Vine for video
    <http://web.a.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/chc/detail?sid=0b15f45c-87dd-4a37-90cf-bbfa6581a2d9%40sessionmgr4003&vid=1&hid=4107&bdata=JnNpdGU9Y2hjLWxpdmU%3d#db=cmh&AN=86880667>.
    (/Computers in Libraries/, April 2013, p26-27 | Donna F. Ekart)
  * Cultural signifers of web site images
    <http://web.a.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/ehost/detail?sid=de8d7dca-09e3-41ce-8222-6fe13d64381b%40sessionmgr4004&vid=1&hid=4107&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=buh&AN=63699777>.
    (/Journal of Management Information Systems/, Summer 2011, p147-200
    | Fatemeh "Mariam" Zahedi and Bansal Gaurav)

The */OPLIN 4cast/* is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics,
and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it
in a variety of ways, such as:

  * *RSS feed.* You can receive the OPLIN 4cast via RSS feed by
    subscribing to the following URL:
    http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
  * *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
    to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
    orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In
    Internet Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to
    the 4cast RSS feed.
  * *E-mail.* You can have the OPLIN 4cast delivered via e-mail (a'la
    http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.

OPLIN 4Cast