[OPLINLIST] Sent on behalf of Jo Budler - State Library Budget

Ashlee Clark Aclark at sloma.state.oh.us
Tue Aug 1 16:52:44 EDT 2006

At the State Library Board meeting on July 20th, the State Library Board
members had an opportunity to discuss the KnowItNow service with the
principle investigators responsible for the evaluation report of that
service, Mary Stansbury and Rick Rubin (Kent State University).  At that
time, discussion included funding beyond June 30, 2007, the date on
which the LSTA funding will expire.  There was agreement that this
service is valuable to our residents, based not only on usage but also
qualitative responses of customers.

As you may know, LSTA funding is being used for statewide databases
($1.3 M) as well as KIN ($1.1 M).  It was always the intention that this
LSTA funding would be used as seed money and not on an ongoing basis.

Because this 24/7 virtual reference service (KIN) is a valued service
which the State Library Board believes should be continued, the Board
recommended that the State Library submit an appeal to the Office of
Budget and Management (OBM) for additional funds to be included in our
FY 2008-2009 budget submission.  This appeal requests an additional $1.2
M (allowing for potential cost increase) in GRF funding be added to FY
2008 and FY 2009 within the State Library's budget.  We will know the
result of our appeal for GRF funding on September 1, 2006.  If the
appeal is granted, there is no guarantee funds will be recommended by
OBM in the Executive Budget.  This appeal is being made for funding to
be in place on July 1, 2007.  KIN funding with LSTA dollars is scheduled
to end on June 30, 2007.

Jo Budler, State Librarian
State Library of Ohio
274 East First Ave, Suite 100, Columbus, OH  43201
Phone:  614-644-6843; 800-686-1532 (Ohio only)
Fax: 614-466-3584
http://winslo.state.oh.us
"The State Library of Ohio provides services and resources to assist
state government and libraries in providing the best service to all."