[OPLINLIST] CD-ROMs shattering in high speed drives

davisoer@oplin.org davisoer at oplin.org
Sat Aug 5 09:29:31 EDT 2006

Mary~

I read an article in a computer magazine a couple years back about DVDs
that were shattering when played in computers. The problem, at least at
the time, was that some manufacturers used cheap plastic for the discs,
and if there was a flaw (a weakened place), the rotation would tend to
make it crack from the center hole.

Since then we have made sure to check our DVDs when returned, for cracks
starting from the center hole. We have had a few come back that way, and
we promptly discard them, without charging the patron. I can't say
statistically how many, but compared with the number of discs we send out,
it's a tiny percentage.

I'm not sure the CDroms you're having problems with would show these kinds
of early warning signs, though.

Erin Davison
Community Library
Sunbury, OH