[OPLINLIST] Biscuit Program...

Barb Scott barbarascott1956 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 22:21:35 EDT 2006

"AN AFTERNOON WITH BISCUIT"...

  On Saturday, September 23, 2006, 40 participants enjoyed "An Afternoon with Biscuit" at the Bucyrus Public Library.

  Upon arrival, Children's Librarian Barbara Scott gave each child a nametag that read "Hi, my name is...." with a picture of Biscuit on it.

  She then presented a short Powerpoint presentation to introduce the author of the Biscuit books, Alyssa Satin Capucilli and their illustrator, Pat Schories.  Among other facts, participants learned that Biscuit and his owner were modeled after Alyssa's own daughter and a dog next door that she was dog-sitting, and that the books' illustrator was born in New York state, but lived here in Ohio before returning to New York.  They also learned that Biscuit books have been translated into other languages and that many beginning readers are thrilled that these are books that they are able to read all by themselves!

  Participants were then invited to do four different Biscuit-themed crafts.  They were:

  1.  Let's Make A Dog with Hearts--All of the pieces that made up this construction paper dog were heart shapes!  Participants colored and cut out the heart shapes and then used an example to construction their own loveable pooch!

  2.  Let's Make Biscuit Ears!--Participants were given brown dog ear patterns to cut out.  Brown construction paper strips were also provided so that participants could make a band that would fit around their head that the ears were then taped on to.  These turned out to be very cute!

  3.  Let's Make a Dog Bookmark!--Pre-packaged kits were purchased from Oriental Trading Company.  There kits contained all of the pieces necessary to construct a foam bookmark that stated "I Wuff to Read".  The dog's head, ears, eyes, hands, a spot (optional) and two dog bones were glued onto a bookmark shape.

  4.  Let's Color Biscuit!--Participants were invited to color a simple picture of Biscuit.  These pictures were then turned in to be displayed in the Children's Room with photos taken of the days event.

  As participants worked on crafts, a special guest came to visit.  It was Biscuit himself!  As he walked into the room, the children flocked over to him for hugs and pictures!

  Once participants were finished with crafts, snacks were served.  Participants enjoyed fruit snacks, pretzels, and, of course, "puppy chow", along with punch!  The puppy chow was served in a large dog bowl for added effect!

  Before leaving, each participants received a goodie bag that had DumDum suckers and a Biscuit pencil and dog bone eraser.  The pencils and erasers were provided through HarperCollins, publisher of the Biscuit books.

  I would be glad to send patterns to anyone who would like them.  If you are an Ohio library and on US Cargo, I can send that way.  Otherwise, please provide me with a mailing address and I will be glad to send things along!

  Barbara Scott, Children's Librarian
  Bucyrus Public Library
  Bucyrus, OH  44820