[OPLINLIST] adoptive kids and collections

Rachelle Miller rmiller at tmcpl.org
Wed Sep 1 10:44:18 EDT 2010

I have parents who have become guardians for two children and would like
to get them library cards. The children already have cards that have
fines and lost material on them dating back to 2006. We have sent one to
debt collection. I am wondering what other libraries do in this type of
situation. Do you give them a card and forgive the fines and lost
materials? Do you make the new guardians pay for the items? How do you
handle this type of situation?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rachelle Miller, Director

Troy-Miami County Public Library