[OPLINLIST] SWON New Story Contest - Last Word

Dorothy Sinclair dorothy at swonlibraries.org
Thu Mar 7 13:39:08 EST 2013

If this email is not formatted properly please go to our website at SWON Libraries.org

It's just over a week until the deadline for SWON's story contest , so this is the last time we'll ask for your story idea. Who has the last word on the role of libraries in our communities? Your patrons probably do, and they don't know the whole story.

While visiting friends in a far-away city, someone pointed to a newly-built library branch. "Isn't that a waste of money?" he asked. "Will we need libraries in 20 years?" How would you answer? We can defend our collections, our role, our people, our missions. But just playing defense seems like the slow way to lose.

Besides, libraries aren't the site where old ideas are defended to the death. Libraries are places where new ideas thrive, generated in good part by their conversation with ideas from the past. That's an amazing gift.

Just like new books appear on library shelves, libraries keep looking for ways to include new people in those conversations between new and old ideas. We make new connections. We find new relevance in the past and use it to help chart our futures. Libraries are always moving forward.

You have a story to tell. Please, share it with us: http://www.swonlibraries.org/content/new-library-story-contest

SWON Consults on Websites

Your website is never done. It never stops changing. And although that can be discouraging at times, your site also presents a never-ending opportunity connect with your patrons. How do those connections get made?

Take a look at the front section of a newspaper. Seriously, go grab a paper. Newspapers put their most enticing stories, along with other important details like the day's date, above the newspaper's fold. And the content matches the space it's given in type and importance: big news items take up more space.

Deciding what news stories should be on the front page is hard work. But if they don't decide, they could end up with ten tiny stories, none of which really grabs your attention. Sound familiar? Websites often put too much on the home pages , hoping to be extra helpful. But when readers can't quickly find what they want, they often give up and look elsewhere.

If you’d like help with your library's website , email Nathan at nathan at swonlibraries.org. I’ll work with you to develop assignments I’ll complete in a timeline we agree upon. If you have questions about how this works or how SWON can help, please be in touch.

Summer Reading Workshop East

Has been rescheduled for March 20th due to bad weather. Registration is re-opened so if you thought you were going to miss it now is your chance. Get great ideas even for next year whether you use it for the theme or you choose to do non-theme all the information you will need will be there. Register here. ( http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=413 )

Come check us out on our calendar at http://tiny.cc/SWON-Calendar

Website, swonlibraries.org

Facebook Page SWON Libraries

Twitter at SWONlibraries

Tell us what you think and what you would like to see more from us.

Save the Date: Spring Support Staff Symposium, May 21st

Calendar Snippet
March 2013
Event 	Date 	Location
Summer Reading Workshop - Central Part 1 	3/11/2013 	Washington Centerville Public Library
Summer Reading Workshop - Central Part 2 	3/11/2013 	Washington Centerville Public Library
Adult Planning & Services (APS - SIG) 	3/11/2013 	Dayton Metro Library
Critically Thinking Your Way to New Levels of Success 	3/12/2013 	On line
ROYAL: Reviewers of Young Adult Literature 	3/12/2013 	SWON Libraries Conference Room
ROYAL: Reviewers of Young Adult Literature 	3/12/2013 	Boone Co. Public Library - Main
More Tips and Tricks for Nook Users 	3/14/2013 	On line
Academic (SIG) - Retention, Session I 	3/18/2013 	Cincinnati State Technical & Community College
Using Logic and Reasoning Skills to Express and Impress 	3/19/2013 	On line
Summer Reading Workshop East (Rescheduled) 	3/20/2013
Clermont Co. Public Library
Union Twp. Branch

Strategic Planning for Library Professionals 	3/21/2013 	On line

Contact Information:
SWON Libraries Consortium
10250 Alliance Dr.
Suite 225