[OPLINLIST] Shiny vs. Steady

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jun 25 17:07:44 EDT 2014

SWON’s new website switches on next week, and from our perspective, it’s
been a long time coming. It’s bringing calendar/registration, online
payments, special interest group communications and online collaboration
to a single platform. Until now, those had been handled by different
vendors or was work done by hand.

We hope you’ll find that the new site improves everything on that list
of features. We’re hoping this will reduce the amount and complexity of
the administrative work SWON does, too.

    Diligence is Due

We’re ready to make this move, in part, because we’ve had a lot of
conversations about this feature list. We collected lots of user
feedback, mostly through informal conversations. And we had ongoing
meetings about our internal needs, which is a little easier with just
three of us. When it was time to formalize this list, we had already
done a lot of the prep work.

Even with that preparation, /there’s still competition between what’s
shiny and what’s steady/. There’s what you like because of its design or
its marketing or the organizations that use it. And then there’s the due
diligence of matching your needs and priorities to the capabilities of
whatever product you’re examining.

/Due diligence doesn’t guarantee that your final choice will be the kind
of fit you anticipate, either/. When you get to implementation, there
are bound to be surprises. With the integrated system we’re moving to,
we’d like to change some of the lingo it uses, but it’s hard-coded into
the system. Some places, we found work-arounds. Other places, we have to
adapt.

If you’re anticipating a big project, start documenting what’s on those
internal and external needs lists now. They’re an opportunity to include
different perspectives (which also helps people feel they’re heard).
Prioritize those lists and you’ve created a document you can assess
together. Objectively, let’s hope.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/eventcalendar.aspx> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>

    The Calendar is Currently Closed

In anticipation of our website switch-over, our calendar is closed for
registration. Registration will be up and running next week on our new
website!

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org<http://www.swonlibraries.org>
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events