[OPLINLIST] Fwd: ***Corrected Links*** SWON Weekly: Stories for Life, Tech Services Interest Group and More!

Cassondra Vick cassondra at swonlibraries.org
Tue May 24 11:23:04 EDT 2016

Register for SWON *here*
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3DRegister>
*SWON serves libraries in Kentucky and Ohio *
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F>

SWON Libraries // Weekly
[image: SWON Libraries Weeekly and Stories for Life]
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3DRegister>
Stories for Life

*(Note: Apologies for the broken links in the previous email. These should
be correct.)*

There’s a lot of talk, lately, about bringing the library to the people,
rather than the other way around. To some extent, we have been doing that
for a long time: Bookmobiles have existed for  about 100 years
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epbs%2Eorg%2Fpov%2Fbiblioburro%2Fbookmobile%2F>
(check
out that link for a great picture of “elephant libraries" in Thailand) and
many libraries have excellent outreach divisions, including those that
bring books to homebound patrons.

We can also acknowledge that, as the baby boom generation approaches
“senior” status, the amount of Americans aged 65 or older is growing
rapidly – in fact, the number of adults living in the US that are over 65
is  larger than it has ever been
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmoney%2Eusnews%2Ecom%2Fmoney%2Fretirement%2Farticles%2F2012%2F01%2F09%2F65%2Dand%2Dolder%2Dpopulation%2Dsoars>.
Of that population,  rougly 5% are in a nursing home
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnursinghomediaries%2Ecom%2Fhowmany%2F>,
and that percentage increases with age.

Many of us also know someone whose life has been touched by dementia. The
statistics are startling: 1 in 9 people over 65 have Alzheimer’s, it is the
6th leading cause of death in the US, and fully 1 in 3 senior citizens will
die of either Alzheimer’s or another dementia (this, and more information
can be found in  a great infographic
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ealz%2Eorg%2Ffacts%2Foverview%2Easp>
created
by the Alzheimer’s Association).

One such person whose life was touched by this disease was librarian Tysha
Shay, one of last year’s Library Journal  Movers and Shakers
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Flj%2Elibraryjournal%2Ecom%2F2015%2F03%2Fpeople%2Fmovers%2Dshakers%2D2015%2Ftysha%2Dshay%2Dmovers%2Dshakers%2D2015%2Dinnovators%23%5F>.
Tysha spent time caring for her grandmother while she had Alzheimer’s and
as a result of her experiences, developed the “Stories for Life” program,
which brings outreach visits and programming to area nursing homes.

What a great initiative to address this growing concern and an excellent
way to bring the library to the people!

That's why we here at SWON are excited to share the opportunity to talk
with Tysha during one of our upcoming  Innovation Conversations
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Esite%2Dym%2Ecom%2F%3Fpage%3Dconversations>
on
May 31st. These conversations are FREE for employees of our  supporting
member institutions
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Esite%2Dym%2Ecom%2F%3Fpage%3Dsupporting%5Fmembers>,
$25 for anyone living in our  Ohio service area
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Esite%2Dym%2Ecom%2F%3Fpage%3Dmembership>
or
$50 for anyone, anywhere.

Can’t make the webinar? Let us know and we can make the archive available
to you. We hope you can  register for the event here
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D813864>and
we look forward to talking with Tysha about this innovative program that
touches the lives of an often underserved population. See you there!

~ *Cassondra Vick, Technology Educator, SWON Libraries*

PS – for those interested in Alzheimer’s advocacy,  The Longest Day
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fact%2Ealz%2Eorg%2Fsite%2FTR%3Ffr%5Fid%3D8480%26pg%3Dentry>,
a day to raise Alzheimer’s awareness, if coming up very soon, on June 20th!
------------------------------
[image: Innovation Conversatons Banner]
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Flist%2Easp%3Fshow%3D%26group%3D%26start%3D5%252F24%252F2016%26end%3D%26view%3D%26cid%3D14799>

Over five million Americans have Alzheimer's or another form of dementia.
Stories for Life was created to connect the Library with this under served
audience. The program is designed to inspire, entertain and engage
residents through discussion and pleasant reminiscing, while bringing the
fun, educational benefits of the library to their facility.
  Register Now!
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D813864>
------------------------------
[image: ALAO UX Conference]
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fa%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fforms%2Fd%2F1SJWwmc%5FN1i1moKDv8YAdkYsqHjTKR8%2D6WKwy%2DD9zWe8%2Fviewform%3Fc%3D0%26w%3D1>

The Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO) Conference Planning
Committee is pleased to announce our call for Poster and/or Roundtable
proposals for the 2016 ALAO conference. The conference will be held on Friday,
October 28th at the Roberts Centre in Wilmington, OH. The theme this year
is "User Experience: ExceedingExpectations By Design". More information and
submission guidelines are available on the attached PDF
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1CshYJGp930cvEiAypkvBC4u0oGI0%5F9SNi%5FbGV4Mu3uM%2Fedit>
or the  conference website
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Falaoweb%2Eorg%2Fconferences%2Fconference2016%2F>
.

*The deadline for submitting poster and/or roundtable proposals is June
24th.*

To submit a proposal, use the * online submission form
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fa%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fforms%2Fd%2F1SJWwmc%5FN1i1moKDv8YAdkYsqHjTKR8%2D6WKwy%2DD9zWe8%2Fviewform%3Fc%3D0%26w%3D1>*
.

If you have questions, please contact Carrie Girton at program at alaoweb.org
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmail%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fa%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fmail%2F%3Fview%3Dcm%26fs%3D1%26tf%3D1%26to%3Dprogram%40alaoweb%2Eorg>
.
------------------------------
Join our Technical Services Special Interest Group and tour Xavier's new
Makerspace!

*Upcoming TeSSIG Meeting*

Join the Technical Services Special Interest Group at our upcoming meeting
at Xavier University McDonald Library!  We will be meeting on Thursday,
July 21st from 1-3 pm for a tour of their new MakerSpace and an update on
the OVGTSL 2017 conference plans.  Register
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D819112%26group%3D>
now for this free event and meet other local Technical Services Librarians!

*--Tina Beis*

*Technical Services and Electronic Resources Librarian, Union Institute &
University & * *TeSSIG convener*

  Check it Out!
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D819112%26group%3D>
------------------------------
[image: Coming up on the calendar...]
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2Fevent%5Flist%2Easp>
* Please register for online classes at least two days before they take
place. *

   - * Teen Summer Reading SLIP
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D777029>
   *
      - Cost: No cost (but only employees of Supporting Member Institutions
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3Dsupporting%5Fmembers>
      may win prizes)
   * 6/1/2016 to 7/31/2016 *

   - * Public Library Adult Program Planners Network Special Interest Group
   Meeting (PLAPPN)
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D702351>
   *
      - Cost: No cost
   * 6/1/2016 - Burlington, KY *

   - * Booklist Webinar — Reading the Rainbow
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D819583>
   *
      - Cost: *FREE*
   * 6/7/2016 - Online *

   - * Great Lakes Resource Sharing Conference
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D819550>
   *
      - Cost: $95 (non-SWON event)
   * 6/9/2016 to 6/10/2016 - Indianapolis, IN *

   - * Children's Literature Evaluation and Review Interest Group (CLEAR) -
   KY
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D690404>
   *
      - Cost: $50 *per year* for employees of Supporting Member Institutions
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3Dsupporting%5Fmembers>
      to Join CLEAR
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fmembers%2Fgroup%2Easpx%3Fcode%3DCLEAR>
      $100 *per year* for everyone else to Join CLEAR
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fmembers%2Fgroup%2Easpx%3Fcode%3DCLEAR>
      Free books included with cost!
   * 6/9/2016 - Covington, KY *

   - * Children's Literature Evaluation and Review Interest Group
   (CLEAR)-OH
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D751281>
   *
      - Cost: $50 *per year* for employees of Supporting Member Institutions
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F%3Fpage%3Dsupporting%5Fmembers>
      to Join CLEAR
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fmembers%2Fgroup%2Easpx%3Fcode%3DCLEAR>
      $100 *per year* for everyone else to Join CLEAR
      <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fmembers%2Fgroup%2Easpx%3Fcode%3DCLEAR>
      Free books included with cost!
   * 6/10/2016 - Blue Ash, OH*

------------------------------
Save the date for these events...

   - * Level-Up Lab: Personality Theory for Supervisors/Managers
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D807027>
   *
   7/20/2016 - Blue Ash, OH
   - * Inaugural Marantz Picturebook Research Symposium
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D810587>
   *
   7/24/2016 to 7/26/2016 - Kent, OH
   - * Summer Cookout
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D813450>
   *
   7/31/2016 - Lebanon, OH
   - * 21st Annual Picture Book Read-In
   <http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2Fevents%2FEventDetails%2Easpx%3Fid%3D783715>
   *
   8/23/2016 - West Chester, OH

You’re receiving this because you’re a SWON Libraries customer or
subscribed via our site
<http://swonlibraries.org/link.asp?e=cassondra@swonlibraries.org&job=2443160&ymlink=12836298&finalurl=http%3A%2F%2Fswonlibraries%2Eorg%2F>
.
[image: Follow us on Twitter]