[OPLINLIST] Community Wide WiFi Service

James Hill jhill at myacpl.org
Thu May 26 13:45:57 EDT 2016

We haven't down community wide, but ACPL has a free wi-fi hotspot in the
village of Amesville.  It's an area of the county that doesn't have a
public library or cell phone coverage. We partnered with the village and
the local Grange to broadcast a signal across a highly visible parking lot.
It's on 24/7.  Coverage is theoretically limited to 100 feet, but I know
the signal is sometimes available much farther. We're using a product made
specifically for such purposes sold by Frontier Communications and called,
conveniently, a Hotspot antennae. Since installation, I've learned that
TMobile makes a similar product.

We've also tested mobile hotspots (like cellular routers about the size of
a phone) that allows up to 10 connected users at a time. In rural SE Ohio,
we found coverage very lacking. The Frontier antennae in Amesville is
hard-wired.

James

*James Hill, *
Asst. Director                                        740-753-2118 office
Athens County Public Libraries            740-447-8200 mobile
95 W. Washington St.                           740-753-3543 fax
Nelsonville OH  45764

*FIND US:*
MyACPL.org
facebook.com/MyACPL