[OPLINLIST] wind chill

Stuart Gibbs SGibbs at libraryvisit.org
Tue Jan 2 17:20:58 EST 2018

I would personally never close unless you can't open.  Libraries are know as places to go when disaster strikes.  Our former director was the subject of an editorial about how she made a decision to close.  Don't open yourself to this is my recommendation.  Yes the staff may call off because they can't come that is understandable.  Let them make a personal judgment for themselves.  However, I believe in a system being open for heat, shelter, and more no matter what.  Instead of a community
chastising the library, libraries should make a public call that we will be open!  In annual reports, let it be known- we are your community resource that is open to help people to information.  If they need a shelter, the library can help!

The headlines in New York library with the flooding during the hurricane/storm a few years back..made headlines for being open during the flooding.  People were using resources and information to get their lives back together.

This is a personal opinion not representative of my employer.

Stuart Gibbs
Supervisor
Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County
Youngstown Ohio 44503
330-744-8636