[OPLINLIST] Last Chance to Demystify Discovery Layers with OhioNET

Heidi Beke-Harrigan heidib at ohionet.org
Thu Jan 11 11:07:16 EST 2018

[Title: Demystifying Discovery Graphic]

In today's internet-driven world, most users have come to expect a Google-like, single search box experience. In response, many libraries have begun to investigate and use discovery layers, like EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS), Summon, or WorldCat Discovery.  Despite the increased use of these software solutions, many questions linger about what these systems are and what they are built to do. In this introductory session, we will discuss the purpose of discovery layers, how they work, and why they are useful for our libraries and patrons.
Demystifying Discovery Layers<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=422&reset=1>
Tuesday, January 16th, 2018 from 2:00PM-3:00PM
Presenter: Sarah Schaff
Who should attend: catalogers, public services librarians, managers and anyone with an interest in this topic.
Other related topics coming up in our Fundamentals of Cataloging Series:
Troubleshooting Tips for EDS, Part 1<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=448&reset=1>
If you subscribe to the very popular EBSCO Discovery Layer, plan to attend OhioNET's series of two upcoming troubleshooting sessions. Our first webinar will focus on important back-end configuration options.
Thursday, March 15th, 2018 from 2:00PM-3:00PM
Presenter: David Green
Troubleshooting Tips for the EDS, Part 2<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=450&reset=1>
This session will focus on the relationship between the EDS, Full Text Finder, and Holdings Management.
Tuesday, April 10th, 2018 from 2:00PM-3:00PM
Presenter: David Green
Getting the Most out of Summon
<https://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=449&reset=1>If you are a subscriber to the popular Summon service, plan to attend this session to hear from an experienced user, Amy Fry from Bowling Green State University Libraries, as she walks attendees through her recommendations for making the Summon service work most effectively for your staff and end-users.
Thursday, March 22nd, 3:00PM-4:30PM
Presenter: Amy Fry
Can't make it in real time?  Sign up and be sure to get link to view the recording of this session at your convenience.

Looking for more?  Check out these upcoming webinars or head to the OhioNET Training Calendar<http://www.ohionet.org/training-calendar> for a full listing of all our upcoming learning opportunities.

If you find yourself with questions about this, or any of our other CE offerings, please don't hesitate to contact us (ohionet at ohionet.org<mailto:ohionet at ohionet.org>).  We're always happy to help!

"See" you soon,

Heidi

Heidi Beke-Harrigan, MLS, CPL
Member Services Coordinator
OhioNET | 1500 West Lane Ave | Columbus, OH 43221
614-484-1068 | 800-686-8975, ext. 28
heidib at ohionet.org<mailto:heidib at ohionet.org> | www.ohionet.org
Connecting Libraries for Stronger Communities