[OPLINLIST] Circulating Hotspots: Request for Input

Ryan Whelpley rwhelpley at acdl.info
Mon Oct 7 14:49:08 EDT 2019

Dear Colleagues, We are currently circulating hotspots/mifis to patrons.
Our provider markets these units as providing "Unlimited Data," but there
is a cap at 25GB, at which point the hotspots buffer as they download data.
Often the browser will time out. Many patrons find this buffering a
nuisance, and report the hotspot as "unusable." We are wondering how other
libraries handle this problem.   Do you continue to circulate your hotspots
even though they are buffering, and if so, do you warn your patrons of the
issue?

Or, do you take the buffering hotspots out of circulation until the data
resets?  We would love to know how you handle this problem. Thank you!

--

Ryan R. Whelpley | Geneva Branch Manager

Ashtabula County District Library

860 Sherman St, Geneva, OH 44041
<https://maps.google.com/?q=860+Sherman+St,+Geneva,+OH+44041&entry=gmail&source=g>

440.361.2288 (office)

Geneva Branch 440.466.4521 | Ashtabula Branch 440.997.9341
www.acdl.info

*Gather, Read, Discover, Transform*