[OPLINLIST] LInkedIn Learning transition begins November 4

Don Yarman don at oplin.ohio.gov
Fri Sep 13 09:08:53 EDT 2019

LinkedIn has allowed OPLIN to gain some control over the previously random
dates they'd assigned for libraries to move from Lynda.com to LinkedIn
Learning. The Cuyahoga County Public Library will go first on October 1.
The rest of Ohio's libraries¹ will transition between November 4–7.

   - Many of you have already experienced LinkedIn's automatic messaging
   about the upgraded admin portal,² and your responsibilities for logging in
   and configuring LinkedIn Learning access. *These messages are wrong. *Save
   them, but do not obey them. The chores they specify will be performed by
   LinkedIn technical support, including configuration of your library's
   SIP/API service, upgrade dates, and portal URL.

   - Information about LinkedIn's IP addresses was sent to OPLINTECH
   yesterday. If you are responsible for configuring your library's firewall
   and/or ILS but did not notice the announcement, please contact OPLIN
   Support <https://support.oplin.org>.

   - Your portal URL will be *linkedin.com/learning/go/
   <http://linkedin.com/learning/go/><fscs number>*. As with the current
   Lynda.com portals, the best practice is to link directly to LinkedIn
   Learning from your website. There will be a generic link on the Ohio Web
   Library page, but using that makes your patrons perform extra steps.
   Linking from your own site will let you customize your messages about
   LinkedIn, including advice for controlling the privacy of a LinkedIn
   profile, or how to manage LinkedIn's engagement emails.³

   - Later in October, libraries will be encouraged to log into the
   LinkedIn Learning admin account and test that the portal URL and
   authentication settings are working. As previously announced, this requires
   connecting a personal LinkedIn account as the service administrator. (I do
   not believe for a moment that every, single library in the state will
   complete this step, which makes me doubt whether it is necessary. If it is,
   we have already begun preparing a work-around.)

I am sure you have questions. Please feel free to email me directly. In the
next few weeks, I will also be at the NEO Membership Meeting
<https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=53282> and in the
OPLIN booth at the OLC Convention and Expo
<http://olc.org/convention-expo/>, and
I am happy to talk with you there.

                    Don Yarman
                    don at oplin.ohio.gov | 614.728.5250

¹ Excluding those who have indicated they are not moving to the new
platform, and another dozen libraries whose local ILS does not support SIP
authentication. Those situations will be addressed individually as we work
with the libraries' wishes and capabilities. If your library plans to
opt-out but you have not yet informed me, please let me know as soon as
possible; time grows short.

² LinkedIn has not confirmed for me whether you will receive these
automatic messages a second time.

³ OPLIN will have some basic instructions you can link to or copy and edit
for your own sites.