[OPLINLIST] CSLP news

jdwyer at library.ohio.gov jdwyer at library.ohio.gov
Fri Sep 20 11:50:41 EDT 2019

Cross-posted from the Library Youth Services list:

This is an update on the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP). I attended the CSLP annual meeting in Indianapolis this Monday-Thursday. I was grateful to be joined by Martha Matthews from MidPointe Libraries, who was there representing the Adult Manual committee, and Elaine Betting from Lorain Public Library System, former CSLP board member.

The CSLP meeting is high-energy and packed with activities. It brings together librarians from all over the USA and territories, including the CSLP state reps (generally state library agency youth services consultants like me), committee chairs, board members, and CSLP staff. This year's meeting was less procedural and more development-oriented than in the past. We discussed changes to the CSLP manual, possible future product lines, the role of summer learning, statistics and evaluation, and future directions/expectations for CSLP. The only big reveal was the vote for the 2023 summer library program theme, which will be oceanography by vote of the states and territories. Here are the upcoming CSLP programs:

2020: Imagine Your Story - theme of Fairy Tales/Mythology/Fantasy - Artist: LeUyen Pham

2021:  Tails and Tales - theme of Animals and Stories -Artist:  Salina Yoon

2022: All Together Now - theme of Inclusion/Diversity - Artist:  Sophie Blackall

2023: Slogan TBD at September 2020 CSLP meeting - theme of Oceanography - Artist: Frank Morrison

Some other items of interest include that the CSLP manual has been reformatted for 2020 with a new look and organization. The manual is no longer divided into age sections, but includes program groupings that are appropriate for various ages and that include adaptations for different audiences. This is in response to librarian feedback over the years and is intended to support family and intergenerational programming, improve usability at smaller libraries where the same person may be developing program for all ages, and support larger libraries' internal collaborations across departments. The manual is also shorter - good news for those of you who miss receiving a paper manual from the State Library and who plan to print the whole thing out (note that you may also purchase a paper manual through the CSLP product catalog). In addition, CSLP is working on a platform for librarians to share programming ideas to supplement the manual.

CSLP has also ended its relationship with an exclusive vendor for products, and is now working directly with a contracted design house. Only CSLP artwork will appear in all products in the CSLP catalog. There are fewer products overall, but more unique products. Everything in the catalog is in stock and ready to ship right now, except for the manuals and the Puss in Boots puppet (which is worth waiting for!). Paper catalogs will arrive with your CSLP manuals in October, but you may shop anytime at www.cslpreads.org/shop<http://www.cslpreads.org/shop/> (login required; if you don't yet have an account on the CSLP website, registration is free and simple).

Along with ending the exclusive vendor relationship, CSLP has completed a substantial revision of its Rules of Use. The rules are now less about driving sales and more about supporting libraries. One big change: you may now use CSLP artwork and slogans on all paper items that you create in-house or through other vendors. You are also no longer restricted in how long you may use CSLP artwork, as CSLP is now retaining ownership of all art provided by the artists to CSLP for its programs. Please review the Rules of Use: www.cslpreads.org/membership-information/rules-of-use<http://www.cslpreads.org/membership-information/rules-of-use>

Please let me know if you have any questions about CSLP. Again, the 2020 Imagine Your Story manuals are expected to ship in October. Access codes for the online version of the manual will be available sooner than the physical USB manual. I will send access code instructions to the summer library program contact at every Ohio public library as soon as I receive these instructions.

Thank you for your support and enjoy your weekend,
Janet

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D56FA9.27CDC2D0]
Janet Ingraham Dwyer
Library Consultant
274 E. 1st Avenue
Columbus, OH 43201
Tel: 614-644-6910
jdwyer at library.ohio.gov<mailto:jdwyer at library.ohio.gov>
http://library.ohio.gov<http://library.ohio.gov/>
http://library.ohio.gov/youth-services
[cid:image004.png at 01D56FA9.27CDC2D0]<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOhio>  [Description: Twitter logo - links to the State Library of Ohio's Twitter page] <http://twitter.com/statelibohio>   [cid:image007.png at 01D56FA9.27CDC2D0] <https://www.flickr.com/photos/statelibohio/sets/>   [cid:image009.png at 01D56FA9.27CDC2D0] <http://pinterest.com/stlibohio/>  [cid:image011.png at 01D56FA9.27CDC2D0] <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFiKVfM_fLdmNhXx7YXa70w>
Share Your Story<http://library.ohio.gov/state-librarian/share-your-story> by telling us how a State Library service or resource helped you or your library.