[OPLINLIST] Teen Digital Volunteering

Amanda Henning ahenning at delawarelibrary.org
Thu Apr 16 13:40:34 EDT 2020

Hey all, in addition to the ideas above, our library has drafted the
following very rough list of ideas.  We will have many more discussions
about all of these ideas before we try to implement any of them. All credit
goes to one of our teen librarians Becky for creating this list!

   -

   Possible virtual/distance volunteer options:
   -

      Teen book reviews posted to website and/or social media
      -

      Weekly Zoom TAB meetings counted as volunteer time
      -

         Does the library have an official Zoom account? There’s a
         40-minute limit on meetings with more than 3 devices.
         -

         There are a lot of safety concerns with Zoom, that we will have to
         keep in mind
         -

         What other virtual meeting options are out there (and safer)?
         -

            What are the schools using? Can we piggyback?
            -

      Provide feedback on teen space in new building
      -

      Create online content for other teens (YouTube video of a craft, etc.)
      -

         Would need to think about privacy/parent permission
         -

      Distance Reading Buddies
      -

         Read to someone you’re with
         -

         Read to someone over the phone/computer
         -

      17-year-olds: register to vote
      -

         Other civic engagement volunteer ideas?
         -

      Edit booklists/other library materials
      -

      Check publication years of books on booklists for old titles
      -

      Suggest future program ideas (socially distant or otherwise)
      -

      Suggest online/distance content
      -

      Take a Lynda.com class (maybe we select a list of some that promote
      skills normally gained through volunteering? public speaking,
      communication, customer service, etc.)
      -

         Consider other opportunities that focus on building skills they
         would normally get from in-person volunteering
         -

      Watch a webinar (again, curate a list of webinars that focus on
      skills/knowledge gained through volunteering)
      -

         Could create booklist as a physical alternative for those without
         webinar access; if library is lending again
         -

      Teens look for holes in library collection
      -

      Send in audio for Anne’s podcast
      -

      Some in-library options
      -

         Schedule just one teen at a time
         -

         Keep up social distancing
         -

         Small group of teens sit 6 ft apart to act as audience for
         performers, film presentation for livestream/online posting
         -

      Operation Gratitude type activities
      -

         Letters to first responders
         -

         Letters to nursing homes

There was a great discussion about this topic on Facebook if you're on the
Teen Librarians facebook group.  Here are some of my favorite suggestions
from other librarians:

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]