[OPLINTECH] AOL and mass emailings survey

Karen Perone peroneka@oplin.org
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:14:59 -0500

There was quite a lively discussion about this on the Innovative Users
Group list recently. Here is one of the responses - HTH.
--Karen Perone, Rodman Public Library

     * Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:47:32 -0500
     * From: "Ostrom, Kriss" <kriss@mail.lib.msu.edu>
     * Subject: Our servers were blocked by AOL!

At MSU, our university-affiliated borrowers must use their Michigan
State University mail accounts for e-mail, however, some of them forward
to AOL accounts. In addition, as part of our interpretation of our
land-grant mission, we offer free borrowing privileges to any adult
resident of the state of Michigan, many of whom have asked us to send
circ notices to their AOL accounts.

Recently, our bounced mail contained many bounces from AOL addresses,
with this message:

The information presently available to AOL indicates this
<<< 554-server is generating high volumes of member complaints from AOL's
<<< 554-member base. Based on AOL's Unsolicited Bulk E-mail policy at
<<< 554-http://www.aol.com/info/bulkemail.html AOL may not accept further
<<< 554-e-mail transactions from this server or domain. For more
information,
<<< 554 please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com

This type of block occurs because AOL users have specifically reported
our e-mail notices as spam, probably without even opening/reading them.
(Funny, since you'd think they can read, having checked out books to
read! ;-) )

I thought this might happen to one of you, so I will share the correct
phone number (which will save you a lot of time and transfers). Call the
"AOL Postmaster Team" at 888.212.5537.

We solved this problem for mail coming from the library server by AOL
"whitelisting" our IP address. However, the most recent AOL-bounced circ
e-mail is not coming from our III server. They are coming from another
campus server, which makes me think these folks might have their MSU
e-mail accounts forwarding to their AOL addresses. So the problem has
been referred on to Computer Center staff who handle the mail servers on
campus ...