[OPLINTECH] MORE Collection Study

Don Yarman yarmando@oplin.org
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:00:57 -0500

OPLINTECH--

I have announced this study on the MORELIST and I've
written to some libraries directly, but I thought
OPLINTECH might be a better way to reach library
systems administrators.

I am studying how library catalogs overlap in MORE.  With
108 different catalogs to search, it is very difficult
for patrons to tell which ones to choose.  By studying
the percentages of overlap and identifying catalogs with
the greatest numbers of unique titles, I will provide
the MORE staff with a recommended set of catalogs for
a default patron search.

If your library is part of MORE and you wish to be
included in this study, please send me a file of the
ISBN's in your catalog.  (I chose ISBN because the MORE
system relies so heavily on it; I'm aware that not all
titles have an ISBN).  I already have data from the
following library systems:

  Central Library Consortium
  Council of Ashtabula County Libraries
  Dayton Metro/Troy Miami/Bradford
  Herrick L
  Hubbard PL
  Kinsman Free PL
  Lane PL
  Newark PL System
  Stark Libraries Information Consortium
  Stow-Munroe Falls PL
  Wright Memorial PL

I would be happy to discuss my research objectives and
methods if you have questions, comments, or concerns.  If
you would like your library to be part of the study but
do not know how to provide the data, please let me know.

            Regards,
                               Don Yarman
                               yarmando@oplin.org
                               yarmando@columbus.rr.com